Old Tobacco Cans

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by RTOdhner, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

There is an antique/estate shop not too far away that has old 12 oz Granger and Prince Albert cans (pre-plastic) for fairly reasonable prices. I was thinking that these could be put back into service and used to hold the Granger or Prince Albert tobacco that I have jarred/cellared. What says the peanut gallery - can a 50 yr old can still keep tobacco fresh (or at least not let it go stale)?

2. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I think an old PA tin would be great table/desk top container for at hand, short term storage. PA has enough PG to survive the zombie apocalypse. I refill great looking old EMP and CA tins with bulks properly stored in my cellar. :confused:

3. RTOdhner

That's what I was thinking. Just for the OTC's that I enjoy on a daily basis - like two to four ounces at a whack - would be fine, and would add a little character to the pipe nook.

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Those would be a great addition to your collection. They'd be some nice eyecandy. Put your tobacco in a zip lock then put it in the can. It's easy to rehydrate if your tobacco get too dry. If I was you I'd go for it.

Good talking with you, RTOdhner.

Ol Brokedik.

5. RTOdhner

The place had about four or five cans: a Carter Hall can, a couple of Prince Albert cans, and a couple of Velvet cans. I got one of the Velvet cans because it was the only one with a knob on the lid. I' not sure what year it is. It has Velvet in the old script lettering. However, it doesn't have the traditional pipe on it. It has a logo that looks like a black shield with a blue stripe running diagonally down it There is a pipe in the blue stripe, and a cigarette in the lower black portion of the shield. The typical Velvet propaganda is featured in fold lettering all over the red can. Since the logo looks like a unit insignia, I think it could be a WWII era can.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

OK. I did a brief scan of Velvet adds and found one add dated 1939 that had this particular logo, and then one dated 1926 that had traditional Velvet pipe on it. It appears as if this logo was adopted between 1926 and 1939, but I don't know for sure how long they used this "unit insignia" logo. It's a cool looking can, and should work nicely - after all, that's why they nade the cans.

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I would definitely get a few of those older cans.

8. Nate

Nate Member

I have about 50 old tins, including the Granger and PA (but only the smaller ones of PA) and that is a great idea for something you smoke often! I think it would be helpful to throw some sort of humidifier, such as a 'water pillow' or the like to keep the tobacco from drying out.

9. RTOdhner

I've got a couple of pouches of Granger in there right now. It looks really nice, and I think I'll try to get another or two. I've got a spare hunidifier I think I'll drop in there in a bit.

10. Nate

Nate Member

Very cool!

11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

An old tin isn't going to keep anything fresh. That said, the OTCs are laden with PG, and aren't going to dry out anytime soon anyway. With OTCs, I would use them as you wish, and don't think you will have a problem.

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great idea for the OTC blends. Adds a little character to the smoking spot..

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A few years ago I bought an Amphora blue tin at a garage sale. It was in pristine condition, and had a clear shipping tape neatly around the seal. As it was heavy, I assumed it to be full, so I paid the 50 cents that was asked and went on my way.
    I went back to the sale about an hour later and the lady if she wanted her grass back. Looking confused, she asked me what I meant, and I proceeded to remove the cover, showing her the marijuana that filled the tin. "What's that?" said she, "Good looking marijuana" said I.

Apparently her son had recently been incarcerated for the umpteenth time, so she kicked him out of the house and was selling his stuff. She proceeded to take the tin, dump the contents in the creek behind her house, and gave me back my tin.

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Argh!:hp2:

That sh!t never happens to me.

Gary likes this.
  15. Scottly

Scottly Member

I have an old Carter Hall Tin/Tub metal thing looks like a paint can lid with a tab you use to open it. Bought it strictly for decorative purposes. It has a little rust inside.

16. RTOdhner

O-Tay, I went to Wally World over lunch and shelled-out $2.97 for a two-pack of Ziplock 0ne quart plastic storage tubs. These are shaped kind of like over-sized drinking glasses with a twist on lid. I cut down the threaded part of the tub by about 1/8 inch, and it pops right into the Velvet can. Without the twist on lid afixed to the Ziplock insert, the top of the Velvet can fits on the can perfectly and provides a pretty tight seal. However, if I put the lid on the Ziplock tub, the Velvet lid is about 1/8 inch shy of a tight fit.

I put the Ziplock tub in the can to reduce the chance of the tobacco picking up any off flavor associated with the tin used for the can, and for easier cleaning when I decide to put a different tobacco in there. I don't really worry about the tin lid tainting the tobacco, but if it turns out that it does Ill use the plastic lid for the Ziplock tub.

The inside of the Velvet can is totally rust-free. I don't know if those little hunidifier thingies are enough to rust the inside of the can, so I probably won't use one. OTC's generally have enough poly glycol to keep fresh for quite a while anyway, so I think I'll start off without it and see how that goes.

The old Velvet tin adds a nice touch of nostalgia to the pipe nook. If y'all can find yourself one, then you really need to pick it up. With a little work they can be turned into functional tobacco jars. Just be sure to get a can that has a lid with a knob/handle on it so that it's es to open the can. The old Velvet and Granger cans have these. I think the old Sir Walter Raleigh cans do too. I can an old Prince Albert can and an old Carter Hall can, but neither had the knob on the lid and they were a just a tad on the squat-side so I don't know how easy it would be to find a plastic tub or jar that would fit inside to line it.

Nate likes this.
  17. RTOdhner

They had one at the shop where I picked up the Velvet can. I don't know how it would work for a tobacco jar, but I hope they still have it in January cuz I'd like to have one for decoration. I like tins that have have pictures and such painted on - all that nostalgia.

18. Nate

Nate Member

Brilliant!! :)

19. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I want to get an old tobacco can now!

Nate likes this.
  20. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Old tobacco tins are neat to look at and are great conversation pieces for any true pipesmoker,they remind me of the true old timers who carried a tin of pa,err,swr or whatever in there biboveralls with there pipe and enjoyed just plain smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.