1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Ole Yeller

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Basil Meadows, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Made this from Hedge Apple I got from my last trip to Ohio. Think some people call it Horse Apple or Iron Wood. Just enjoyed the natural yellow color, and it sure is some hard wood! Now I know why it's called Iron Wood. I use a 3/4" ball endmill for the tobacco chamber and have never had it slip in the chuck before....until this project! Shame the block I got wasn't big enough for a bent, this may be the only straight "personal pipe" that I have in my rotation. Not for sale. Gonna have to try to get a larger section of this stuff on my next trip up North, this stuff is harder than a womans head!

Motard, jdto, WrightwoodJohn and 6 others like this.
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Looks like pretty wood, grain and finish, but what does it taste like when smoked?

3. Basil Meadows

Gonna find that out shortly, had to send the wife out for some honey to hasten the break-in! Ahh.. the hell with it! Packed me a small load and given it a shot! There is a slight "flavor".. not a bite, but maybe a sweet hint. Sure this will leave once the cake builds. Smooth light draw...burns even... yep, it's going into my rotation!

Lithua pipe likes this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It'll be a nice addition to the rotation as long as the wood don't kill ya! LOL

5. Basil Meadows

Read up on it, lol. Couldn't find anything negative on it, so we'll see...(acck, brrck, cough, cough!) sorry, hair ball! LoL!

Darkly and cobbsmoker like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'll know what happened to you if all of sudden quit posting! LOL

7. Basil Meadows

LOL, the only thing I could find, other than it's not poison, is that it has killed livestock....by getting logded in there throat! But the wood is used a lot in making bowls. BUT! if I suddenly stop posting, PLEASE pass the word around!

cobbsmoker likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

10-4 :th1:

9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

It's a beautiful pipe Basil, I hope it ain't hazardess to your health!

Basil Meadows likes this.
  10. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

That pretty yellow color will deepen to a medium brown, still pretty but not as neat as the yellow. I use "Hedge"to make duck calls, it is possible to keep the yellow color if you use a sealer on it that I am sure you wouldn't want on a pipe. It is also known as Bois d Arc in the south but here in Missouri we call it hedge, there are tons and tons of it here. Very hard it finishes down great. The next time you use hedge look for the closest growth rings you can find, it will probably be the best. Hedge is actually called Osage Orange, it produces a seed pod that is about the size of an orange. Cows sometimes eat these and they do get caught in their throat and they croak.

11. Basil Meadows

Good info! Had to pull it from my rotation, though. Took it to work, and was showing it to a friend of mine, another fellow saw it and wanted to know if I'd sell it to him. Not being much on straight pipes, it quickly found a new home! Gonna have to get a larger piece to work with next time, lol!

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's a great looking pipe. I like seeing some other types of wood used in the making - it's cool...
    Looking forward to the next one you make with this stuff

13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:(

14. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Origanally from Ohio and yes we do call it Hedgeapple. That is a beautiful pipe. Would love to have one. My Uncle had the road he lives on renamed to Hedgeapple road because of all the Hedgeapple trees that grow on it.

15. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've got a 60+ year old hunting knife with a Bois D'arc handle. It is very pretty wood.

SouthBound and Basil Meadows like this.
  16. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

That's a sweet looking smoker! Love the way the light kinda shimmers on the grain.. and the cooler is WAY cool.

17. DiscSlinger

DiscSlinger Member

Yep, that's Osage Orange... The same wood I harvest to make ( or attempt to make ) bows with. It is by far the best bow wood to be had... very strong. Native Americans used it to make bows and war clubs...
    It makes a beautiful pipe, that's for sure. Here is another one here that's worth taking a look at... http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2415
    One thing that MAY be a negative is that it has natural latex in its sap, in high amounts. So much so that they have been considered for latex harvesting. I was interested in making a pipe from some Osage that I have lying around, and discovered the latex thing after searching for potential hazards with the wood.
    Now, I'm not saying that the latex IS a hazard... I have no idea. The Opium Poppy's milky latex sap is dried and smoked on purpose for obvious reasons, but thats a different chemical make up altogether. One obvious hazard to the Osage sap is for anyone allergic to latex... but being dried wood, I'm not sure that makes a difference.
    I am still trying to find out what if any hazards the latex sap would present in a pipe made of the wood. Perhaps none, but something to consider...
    Nice pipe by the way !

18. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

New from Trogan... The Osage carved condom.:haha:

19. Basil Meadows

When I season the wood, I'll boil it for 30 mins to remove the sap and resin, then let it air dry for 2 months. Hopefully that pulled all the bad "crap" from the wood. Maybe I should have saved the water, let it boil down and sell it to Trogan?!?! Double bonus points? Thanks for the info! And the link to the other pipe was great, that is a sweet looking pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.