1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

On a Cornell & Diel kick

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ddandb, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddandb

ddandb Member

Manhattan Afternoon to start the day. Then some Opening Night. Followed by Kajun Kake.
    In between I smoke Sunday Picnic. Actually I could smoke the Sunday Picnic 24/7.

Now on to the review... I really like them.

2. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

LOL 'nuff said! I've been stoking up on C&D and G.L. Pease blends. I'm more than happy with them, and pleased with their availability. I've got some samples of Squadron Leader and Escudo that I'm almost afraid to smoke because I might like them and not be able to find them.

3. ddandb

ddandb Member

Let me see if I can do a little bit better..

Manhattan Afternoon – Mild Virginia flake (with according to the ad, a drop of honey). I really don’t taste the honey but it must be there as room note is pretty good.

Opening Night- Medium Virginia Flake. What can I say? If You like Straight Virginias you’ll like this.

Sunday Picnic –Virginia, Perique, Turkish. Medium Flake. This I could smoke all day and actually did over a few day period till my tin was gone. (stocked up on more now) I can taste the Virginia a lot in this but the other tobaccos are there just enough to knock it up a notch.

Kajun Kake- Virginia, Cavendish, Perique. Medium+ Crumble Cake. This was my first cake. Not sure what to do with it so I just kind of pealed a hunk off, rubbed it out a little, and stuffed it in the pipe. Nice after dinner smoke.

I know, still not much of a review, but describing individual tastes just isn’t my forte.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

C&D is a good tobacco blender to follow! They have their own style. Quite frankly, no one is working with burley tobacco as much as Craig (and Bob Runowski). They really respect that leaf and have various unique methods in getting the most out of it. They do very well with other genres as well. There seems to be a signature taste to C&D blends - not to mention look! I could probably look at any C&D blend without knowing who blended it and tell you it was a C&D. A lot of it looks like old dead leaves. :eek:hyeah:

C&D does burley on the "earthy" side of things rather than the "nutty" side. They do strong burley like no one else. And I like to think that I have a fairly manly tolerance for nicotine but Kajun Kake had me whining like a ninny. Really tasty stuff but I have to smoke it in girly sized bowls. :0laugh:

Opening Night, Oriental Silk, Burley Flake #3, Big-N-Burley, Kajun Kake, Riverboat Gambler, Exhausted Rooster, Kelly's Coin and a few others are all in my rotation. Nice people, too!

No affiliation, blah blah etc.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The last few months I've been supplementing my usual Brit stuff with VA Squire, and coming to the end of my third pound. Today I thought I would have a change - and order something that maybe had a little more 'body' and strength, so have ordered a pound of C&D Night Train!....hope I won't be disappointed!...what do you think to this stuff?
    Cheers, OT

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm loading up some C&D Burley #2 with a couple pinches of Carter Hall on top right now!

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

BUMP! - seems nobody here uses this stuff!.....I'm not very optimistic now!:(

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'll not be giving you the answer you are hoping for, because I've never had any. However, of the C&D bulk offerings, it, and and Oriental Silk are the two I plan on getting soon. I wouldn't let lack of responses stop you, man...Night Train sounds like a winner to me!

9. Gondar

Gondar Member

O'hoy! I have only tried 3 of their blends, but like their style!
    I try not to drink beer without having Blockade runner cause that match is splendid, regardless of the beer. I find it strong though.
    Purple cow is absolutely awesome and certainly in my rotation untill I run out of it. hubba hubba, yummie yummie!!!
    After hours is not to my liking, but strikes me as a good tobacco for those who do like it.
    So... more power to C&D!:punk:

10. BriarAnnie

BriarAnnie Member

Purple cow is great!!!

11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The only C & D blend I've tried is Berry Good. I was so disappointed I've never tried any other C & D stuff. There are so many other blending houses are outstanding I doubt I will ever be tempted to try C & D again. So far, I've disliked C & D, McClelland, Orlik and Lane. MacBaron, Stanwell, Germain, McConnell, Solani, Peterson and Presbyterian have been great. I'll be trying some Sillems and Sasieni stuff soon.

12. dmkerr

All I can say in reply is that G&H is one of my favorite blending houses, but if I'd only tried Rum Flake, they wouldn't be. Ditto McClellands and Holiday Spirit or C&D and their Coffee blend. Everybody turns out a loser blend or two.

13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

If you enjoy the presentation of C&D's crumble cake like Kajun Kake and if you like virginias give Briar Fox a try. It is one of my 'usuals'.

It isn't your average virginia blend. You won't have to hunt for faint nuances. It isn't light and sweet. It is more down and dirty. Earthy.

14. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Aye, I've been toking on a tin of Briar Fox for the past week, very nice indeed.

15. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

How did Night Train turn out for ya?

16. dmkerr

Nice review - succinct and accurate. Briar Fox is for those long time virginia smokers who think their favorite style can no longer surprise them. It's quite a unique blend.

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

To me - it's a good all-day smoke, and reasonable price, I'll be ordering more!
    OT

18. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have enjoyed my Elegant Emu. I want to try Mississippi Mud next. I would like to know If they have a good English Mix? Beale.

19. Redone

Redone Member

I like C&D allot and have tried about 5 types. Kajun kake, Miss mud,Good morning, and GL Jackknife are fav's The only one I didnt like is haunted bookshelf..too much burley for me. I have allot more to try and so far they are my #1 company for tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.