1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

On flake flavor.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As many of you know, I love my traditional 'British style', strong flakes, twists and plugs, been my staple for around fifty years, or more. Don't know if it's just my palette - but a few of them, in particular some of the 'Lakeland' offerings give me a definite liquorice taste, as well as that 'VA tang' - and I really like it!. Lately I've been sampling a few blends from across the pond, and I'm wondering if there are any I should look at, that have reasonable strength and depth, and that hint of liquorice that I'm fond of......any ideas?
    OT

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Saucy licorice you say? McClelland Blackwoods and St. James Flake come to mind.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Licorice? Mixture #79. :ohyh:

I like a lot of U.S blends. If I could find some that had the Lakeland essence, depth and strength, I wouldn't bother with the Lakeland blends.

Good luck on this one, Ted.

Spillproof likes this.
  4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I don't know of any licorice tasting blends. dmkerr brought up M79, which some have said has a licorice flavor. I don't know what flavor it is but to me it is unsmokable! lol. I have read someone here at PSF some time ago say they had a hint of licorice or anise from Stonehaven. I don't get that but maybe someone else might.

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi OT - As you know I am not from across the pond - I stand firmly on your side of the Atlantic, however your question provided me with a great excuse to do some research and to not do what I'm supposed to be doing. Not exactly a US tobacco and not exactly a UK tobacco, but Esoterica Blackpool sounds like it might be up your alley. It is available in 8oz packages from 4noggins. If you do order some can I be cheeky and request a sample (of course in an exchange)?

Old Ted likes this.
  6. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Actually M79 is definitely a strong Licorice/floral combo that renders it unsmokable to what seems to be most American palettes, but I like. Also, recommend you check out Hearth and Home's Lakeland Brickle...I've never had a "real" lakeland baccy but Lakeland brickle has some of that same kinda licorice/floral combination and smokes EPIC in a really tall pipe, like a MM General.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

These are outstanding recommendations for Matured Virginia tobaccos :th1: but McClelland does not use casings, flavorings or toppings on their Matured Virginia tobaccos and NO licorice for sure! ;)

dmkerr and Spillproof like this.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

pipesandcigars.com's Marquee Series Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo is a very nice smoke. I don't really taste the licorice in it but it is very floral. Very different for an American aro as it claims to be. It has a very robust tobacco flavor as well as the floral "essence" which is supposed to be juniper, clove and lavender. I go through phases with this tobacco. I will smoke it for a week and then not touch it for a long while. It is not a mild aro though, it has some oomph to it. It won't make your head spin on a nic hit but it's not a mild smoke either.

Darkly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.