On loading

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by TedVig, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Okay. This is a weird one. So for the past year or so I've been trying all the loading methods. Air pocket, 3-step, the Frank, etc. The last couple days I went back to the "stick the pipe in the baccy and scoop/ push some in with your finger" method. Ummm... startling results. Far more consistent burn, way less bite, etc. Anyone else ever experience this? The results are different enough that I no longer feel the neccessity for filters.

jason1977 likes this.
  2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You may have gone back to the "stick the pipe in the baccy and scoop/ push some in with your finger" method, but you went back with a year under your belt. Believe me, the way you're doing it now is drastically different than the way you were doing it a year ago.

People get hung up on watching you tube, studying packing methods, blah blah blah, it's mostly for naught. Everybody struggles until they "get it". No amount of talking or watching will make your fingers, the tobacco and the pipe work any better any faster, it's all time in the saddle.

Mister Moo, IrishRover, Snake and 3 others like this.
  3. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

That's the way I load, mostly.

4. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Valid point!

jason1977 likes this.
  5. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Member

I am a rookie compared to others, but I have never used a filter. In fact, I never knew they made filters for pipes until I seen this post and googled it. I mainly smoke very mellow blends that seem to be fairly cool burning, so I have never really gotten bitten or anything like that. The only thing I have experienced is some moisture buildup after a while. Should I try using filters or if I enjoy smoking without a filter keep on doing what I am doing?

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I scoop Burley tobaccos from the pouch all the time but I do not understand what difference scooping tobacco from a pouch has to do with using a filter? :cfsd:

7. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

If you'll pardon the minor hijack here, I've seen some discussion about the "cannonball" method of packing. Anyone care to enlighten me? There's a thread on the board here that points to another thread that apparently describes it, but that thread is 404'd. I'm still in the days of struggle and anguish myself; I've been exiled to cigars for the last few days to let my tongue recover from a particularly tough fight with one of my new pipes, trying to get to the bottom of the damn bowl. Plus, I'm getting tired of getting up mid-smoke to empty my ashtray of all the matches in it! :D

8. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Patience. If the result in the packing is a full bowl w. plenty of toby & it's spongy but firm, w. a good draw, you did it right, no matter how it's done. IMHO, the results are more imortant than the method. Once you see the desired result, you continue to repeat it.

To me (from what i understand), the cannonball it taking a healthy pinch of toby, then rolling it into a wad in your hands, then screwing it into your pipe. Didn't know it had a name, but I've done it before. If you have to take some out, take it out. If ya gotta add some, then add some, as long as it's spongy but firm w. a good draw, yer good to go. The only hang up I see is moisture.

If it's new tobacco & you didn't do anything wrong & ya packed it right, then moisture is your issue. Took me a while to figure that out. I started to doubt my ability to load a pipe. That was 10 years ago. Now I kinda air out tins if I think they're too moist.

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Well... I have a condition called fissured tongue. My tongue can be somewhat sensitive in general. Filter pipes really cut that down if not even eliminate it. For some reason the scoop and stuff caveman method worked better than all the sophistocated methods you read about (not that there's anything wrong with them). Better enough that I've found that it may eliminate the need for filters to keep my tongue from being irritated at least with some tobaccos. That's what suprised me.

jason1977 likes this.
  10. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

If it works, good on ya :th1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it :old:

Ted Vig likes this.
  11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Amen!

jason1977 likes this.
  12. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

I've always used the "stick the pipe in the baccy etc." method, and it works fine for me. Back in the 70s, when I was new to pipe-smoking, I read in a book on pipes the advice to feed the tobacco in in a single stream, rather than a number of separate lots, in order to help it stay alight without needing re-lights, which makes sense, and that's what I've done ever since (apart from experimenting recently with the 'fold and stuff' mothod for flakes, which I didn't find offered any advantage).

jason1977 likes this.
  13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Have you tried rolling? Works wonders!

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

@joedirt - filters or not... entirely personal choice. Try 'em if you like. If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em. It's that easy.

@lawmonkey - the cannonball is a version of the airpocket method. Basically, take your tobacco, a whole pipe worth, and wad it in the palm of your hand. Roll between your hands, just like making a meatball, and then stuff this thing in the pipe as a whole unit. It's tough to light, but burns wonderful once you got it going.

IrishRover and Ted Vig like this.
  15. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

So now I wonder... what's the airpocket method? When I was last smoking pipes, there was the thirds and there was this crazy new Frank method. That was it. Apparently there has been significant development in pipe-packing technology while I was away!

16. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

No, Ihaven't. You mean rolling the flake up and then stuffing it in the bowl?

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I think JP nailed it !... experience is the best teacher...
    And happy for you that you're still enjoying the pipe :bing:

Ted Vig likes this.
  18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The air pocket is just that, you leave a pocket of air under the tobacco instead of pushing it to the bottom of the bowl. Works wonders in conical type chambers like you find on those big Danish freehands.

19. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Cannonball! Cannonball coming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.