one month observations...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by AkBuba, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

So, I've been smoking a pipe for about a month now...
    I've accumulated 3 smoking briars, 2 more that I need to referb, and a cob. The Peterson St Pat and Medco.
    I've got about 12 tins; nightcap, bluenote, squadron leader, and autumn evening. Also some blends that folks have given me... I still cannot tell what i like the best as far as flavor goes. I smoked a sample of a blend tonight in both the medco and the cob. The medco seems to have the most open draw next to the cob, but the cob, shucks - you could push a washcloth through that one! lol
    While I like the cob, i think i like the medco a little better. I think Rick Newcombe has something on the opening up pipes to a certain sized opening.

Tonight, i was sitting out on the from porch, enjoying my pipes and the room note - it's raining out and fall is here. Winter, and -40 is coming. Not sure how I'll work out smoking outside then... So I'm definitely enjoying the peace and wonderful weather now! It's a great life.

BigJ likes this.
  2. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Great observations! Glad you're enjoying the hobby, I know what you mean about winter...we have the opposite problem here, during the summer I pretty much quit smoking as 104 degrees outside doesn't quite get me excited about sitting outside with a pipe.

Wideawake75 likes this.
  3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Pipe smoking is all tial and error, But when you hit on the right combination, its sure bliss

Arkie likes this.
  4. jeff394

jeff394 Member

Man, at the end of my first month, I had just graduated from 1-Q to McC's 5100. What a collection!

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....are you a bit cautious - starting all your hobbies then?
    OT

Coastal Bend likes this.
  6. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Aww, cut him some slack. Some guys are just naturally apprehensive!

Professor likes this.
  7. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

Its not caution.... money's tight.

:)

8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

In one month you have accumulated 5 pipes, including a couple of restores plus a whole bunch of tobacco's. I think OT was being a little facetious, and frankly, so was I.
    Nice start to your hobby.

Happy Smoking,
    Paul

Old Ted and AkBuba like this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

ME!....as if I would!:rolleyes:

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It sounds as though you are off to a great start.

11. Marker

Marker Active Member

Where you from? Sounds like around the block from me :)

12. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

Marker,
    I'm in North Pole, AK. Work in Fairbanks.
    :cool:

Marker and dwaugh like this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I would say you've made a good start. Some parts of this thing can't be rushed. the taste awareness will develop and get sharper as you go. I've been at it for a little over a year and my tastes, what I enjoy, have altered greatly over the course of the year. For the first three months or so I had two pipes. One briar and one cob and crap OTC tobacco. (Captain Black)

I suppose you have to use on line retailers if you live in Alaska. good thing such things exist now. :)

AkBuba likes this.
  14. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

yeah, online is definitely my friend!

15. raf66

raf66 Member

I'll add to what a couple others have already alluded to. That is, when you start out with a new hobby you really jump in with both feet! And I mean no disrespect by that. Good for you!

When I first started, heck even for the first couple of years that I smoked a pipe, I had tried maybe 3-4 blends (exclusively OTC aromatics) and had purchased 2 pipes. That's great that you've essentially amassed 6 pipes and 10 different blends of tobacco, all in your first month! You also didn't limit yourself to the normal 1 or 2 goopy aromatics and 1 or 2 drugstore pipes in your initial pipe-smoking journey, which is something that many beginners do early on and which has undoubtedly been the cause of people leaving the hobby before really getting a good start.

I applaud you for your "uninhibited" foray into the wonderful world of pipe-smoking. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.