1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

One of My Favorites - Soren Freehand

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mount Mandolin, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Here's one of my favorite pipes. I gunked this thing up really bad at one point, because I wasn't being smart about cleaning it, and it got to the point where I couldn't even fix it with a wire brush and a bunch of elbow grease. So I took it to the B&M I go to in Birmingham, The Briary, and had Skip down there fix it up for me, which took him all of probably three minutes, lol. But yeah, it smokes really nice, it's drilled to perfection, and it has a nice, big bowl. Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really is a dandy of a pipe. It's a big sucker though, and with an acrylic stem to boot, so it doesn't make for a good clencher, and therefore doesn't get smoked much in the car. I love to fill that thing up and sit outside smoking for a good solid hour or so. It will just get better and better with age, too. :puffy:

nesta, Hawkwood, Kiowapipe and 2 others like this.
  2. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

That is a mighty fine looking pipe. I've heard good things about Soren's pipes. If you ever stop loving this pipe please let me know and I will gladly buy it from you.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I had my eye on a similar one at pipesandcigars for months and months a few years ago, but just never managed to get the cash together and she finally stopped waiting for me and went to some one else. So goes the world. You've got yourself a nice one; I love the lines.

Mount Mandolin and Spaceboy Tim like this.
  4. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I really feel like I've seen this pipe before. Have you posted pictures of it before? Or have you made a video of it on YouTube at all?

Also, could you post a picture of it taken from the top? I don't know if you can tell but I really like this pipe :)

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I like how it has a Pokerish vibe going on and is a sitter. Reminds me of a Knute Freehand I have.:puffy:

Mount Mandolin and Spaceboy Tim like this.
  6. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

That pipe has some serious sex appeal

7. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

You should post some pictures.

8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Very sharp looking pipe!

Paul

9. Mount Mandolin

I've never done a Youtube on this particular pipe, but I believe I remember some dude that owns a pipe shop in a mall somewhere posted a video about "Pipe of the Month" or something like that, and he had a somewhat similar Soren freehand. I will try to remember to post a picture taken from the top; I need to get my camera back from my buddy. I already had these pictures sitting around, ready to post, and had just never posted them before.

And thanks guys, she's a beaut. I thought about selling this one at one point because I had gunked it up so bad, and I just thought it had a poorly drilled airway or something. :bag: Yeah right, like THAT friggin pipe would have bad drilling. It's completely perfect!

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  10. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

It looks like it still smokes poorly... ;)

11. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Beautiful pipe Mando!;)

12. Mount Mandolin

Smokes like a dream! I tend to smoke mostly Balkans and light English mixtures out of it. I know I've said I don't do the "smoke one blend only out of a pipe", and I don't, but I do often smoke specific types of tobaccos out of each pipe. My Peterson System, for example, mostly sees Virginia's and Burley's, because they benefit strongly from the System configuration, whereas my Neerup mostly sees heavy English blends and my beloved Nightcap. Still though, I notice "ghosting" in the pipe, but only if I draw through it with the pipe empty. When there's something burning in it, I only notice the flavor of the tobacco. I am a devout believer in a nice, thick cake in a pipe, but a few of my pipes aren't all that caked up because they still haven't been smoked that much. I smoke more English than Virginia in general, but sometimes I will smoke a Balkan or something out of the Pete just to give it some exercise, because I LOVE that pipe. The Peterson System is a venerable pipe, and the full bent is just lovely. It hangs from the mouth so nicely.

I don't like acrylic stems, and I've thought about sending my acrylic-stemmed pipes to Bear Briars to have them changed out for nice, hand cut Vulcanite. The only thing is, with this pipe, the stem is unique (and possibly hand cut, although I truthfully don't know), so I don't think I would do that. Plus, it's not your standard mortise and tenon system, as you may be able to tell from the pictures. Anyway, if this pipe had a Vulcanite stem, it would clench better, that's for sure. I am a serious clencher, so acrylic stems really grind my gears, lol. I still don't understand why they use them, despite the arguments for aesthetics. In my opinion, a pipe stem is to be made of Vulcanite (or Ebonite), and nothing else. It's the only proper material. But that's only my perhaps-not-so-humble opinion. I want to get some tools one day and start making pipes (and hand cutting stems) one day. I plan on it, in fact. What fun that will be.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  13. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Could you not just humour me? ;) :D

I'm also a clencher and I actually prefer acrylic stems because they don't wear out nearly as fast due to clenching. I will definitely choose an acrylic stem over a vulcanite unless the vulcanite is the only option (Peterson System pipes).

14. Mount Mandolin

Well hey, we agree to disagree. Make-a da world go round. The reason I don't like clenching acrylic stems is A) they're hard on my teeth and B) they slide around all over the place if you turn your head much. Vulcanite has a softer, more secure grip in the teeth, to me anyway. But hey, more Vulcanite for me!

15. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Mount----that is a REALLY nice pipe. It has nice grain. I like the plat. tops, and man---congrats---its a beautiful pipe. I was gonna tell you that it looked horrible, and you should immediately box it up, and mail it to me--so I can smoke the hell out of it, and slobber over it-----IT IS A REALLY NICE PIPE. You know I am poking fun with you--ha-ha. I hope you can enjoy it for MANY years to come. Load that bad boy up, and enjoy.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Anyone know much about Soren? Did whoever carves them used to carve pipes for Bjarne when he was still in business? I ask because I've seen a few Soren pipes listed under the Bjarne section on P&C, and the styles of carving, and the stems, are very reminiscent of some mid range Bjarne freehands you used to be able to find. I have one I got from cup o joes a several years back. It's my favorite pipe in terms of asthetics, but unfortunately a real gurgler.

[​IMG]
    That's the original picture from the cup o joes site. As you can see it's an old photograph. They don't have their name on the grid behind the pipe. Still, it's a fun pipe to smoke at home when I'm able to have a leisurely smoke and don't mind running a cleaner or two when called for, but it's not something I like to take out and about with me.

17. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

18. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

Mount M are you on YouTube as well? Look me up under the same user name here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.