1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening a Calabash

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by UberHuberMan, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I recently picked up a no-name bash from puros_bran for a comfortably low price. Having always wanted to try out a calabash, this was the perfect opportunity and I seized it.

When I got the pipe, I discovered that, as stated, it had an ok draw, but it was too tight for me. After a little inspection, I ascertained 3 problems.

1. The bowl only had 1 small hole which was off center.

Having done some research, I found that a few high end makers generally put three holes in a triangular configuration in their calabash bowls. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I used my dremel and drilled two more holes in the bowl to create the vortex effect within the calabash which supposedly improves their smoking qualities. Step one done.

2. The airway was pretty narrow at about 2 mm.

Using a 3.5mm gimlet, I opened up the airway to allow less restricted delivery of the smoke. Step two done.

3. The stem also had a narrow passage.

I heated and straightened out the stem so that it could be opened up. Then, using my dremel, I opened up the stem to 3.5 mm at the shank end. Then using a 1.5mm bit, I funneled the airway at the bit. Then I reheated the stem to bend it back. Step three done.

Now the draw is wide open and effortless and I can smoke all the way down to the bottom no problem. This pipe delivers a cool smoke and excellent flavor. I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lestrade and dwaugh like this.
  2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Great job. Congrats and Enjoy!

3. 0cme

0cme Member

Cool - I've always wanted to try a 3-holed calabash.

UberHuberMan likes this.
  4. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Based on this one (done amateurishly) I'd wager a 3 hole made by a reputable maker would be stellar! I say go for it if you find one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.