1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening four year-old Nightcap

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Codfish, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codfish

Codfish Member

I just retrieved four pounds of aged Nightcap which has been stored carefully for the past four years. I bought it while it was still available in bulk.

The aroma from the sealed outer container is unbelievably wonderful. I have never cellared pipe tobacco before. Should I break it down into smaller jars for immediate use and continued ageing? I there any advantage to opening well-sealed bulk containers if the first seems fine, or should I let well enough alone?

Mington likes this.
  2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

What is it stored in now?

3. Codfish

Codfish Member

What appear to be double-locked 5-mil ziplock bags within a good quality metal cooler with a good seal. I just opened a pound and it's in very good condition.

4. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I'd jar it. :confused:

Codfish likes this.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

'The aroma from the sealed outer container is unbelievably wonderful.'

This statement is a sure sign of it not being sealed.(If I understand you right.) If you can smell it, it needs to be jarred, post haste. Scent out, is flavor out...

dmkerr and Codfish like this.
  6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

you got it right!

Codfish likes this.
  7. Codfish

Codfish Member

Thanks all. The cooler had a nice aroma when I opened it, but no scent before I broke the metal seal. I agree that glass is better than the plastic bags, so that's what I'll do. Then I can use smaller amounts as I need them. I think I'm lucky that what I have is not ruined from my cellaring technique so far.

8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

"Ball" mason jars work very well and are cheaper by the dozen. Ace, Walmart, Amazon....

user2725 and Codfish like this.
  9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Seconding this, though note it is dangerous! Once you have all those empty jars you'll want to fill them ;)

Dondi and Codfish like this.
  10. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

love nightcap...can't even imagine what 4 year old nightcap is like...lemme know if you wanna let some go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.