1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening the airway

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Rodfather, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have wanted to open up my pipes for a long time but had no idea how to do it. Are there drill bits yhat have a T on them ? I don't want to use any power as I am certain I would end up with firewood. How do you guys open your pipes up and what do you use ?

2. dBear

dBear Active Member

If I may add to the question - is there a way to open up the airway in a bent stem? Some kind of flexible file or something?

3. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Check out this thread. I put the drill bit in a vise grip and turn it by hand, then use a pocket knife to make a bevel at the end of the stem.

Old Codger, Tate, OBro and 1 other person like this.
  4. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

This can get tricky. You would have to heat it up and unbend it. Drill it out. Then re-bend it. Not something I am up for.

I took the drill bits and turned them by hand without a t handle. I went up in size incrementally. One did get "stuck" so I grabbed it with the vice-grips and backed it out.

5. Tate

Tate Member

I have put bevels on the stems of a few pipes and found that the pocket knife doesn't do as smooth a job as possible, but that a counter sink bit in a drill will work wonders. Alternatively, I think next time I do it I'm going to try one of those cone shaped dremel sanding bits.

As far as opening the airway, as the other thread and JRobert suggest, I just used a drill bit in a pair of vice grips.

6. OBro

OBro Member

Thanks for posting that link, JRobert. I've been wondering how to open up a stem. I have a pipe that I've been wanting to do that to, but haven't been able to find any information on it.

JRobert likes this.
  7. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

A reamer would be very nice after the hole is drilled out some, but their pricey

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You can buy a 1/2" countersink for just a few bucks at your local hardware/lumber yard. I twist by hand to put the chamfer on my tenons.

9. holymolar

holymolar Member

I have a T-handle and a box of 60 drill bits that gradually increase in size from .040" to .128" but I mostly use .070" - .128". I bought the T-handle at Ace Hardware. The box of drill bits came from a website on the internet but I can't remember where (sorry). The box says "China" on it, so the bits are probably cheap metal and not as expensive as it looks like it would be. I use these bits on pipe stems only. Just pick the bit that fits snuggly inside the stem and work it until loose, then progress to the next larger sized bit until you get to the size you want. It takes time but is the safest way to do it that I know. I've used these bits on most of my pipes (about 50) because I like a larger hole than most pipes have for easy flow.

[​IMG]

Old Codger, jdto, krusty and 2 others like this.
  10. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Do you use these on your patients? :haha:

jdto likes this.
  11. holymolar

holymolar Member

Summit said "Do you use these on your patients? :haha:"
    Only when doing root canal treatment to inflict maximum pain. :haha: :haha:

Old Codger, jdto and dBear like this.
  12. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I use a mini chuck to hold drill bits (numbered bits) similar to this: [​IMG]

13. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Over the past day I have been thinking about this a lot. I have spent the past 3 hours on Ebay and guess what...............I found exactly what I have been looking for. It's called a T-handle tap wrench. They cost any where from $4.00 to $14.00. When you are my age things like this make your day, it sure did mine.

Summit and dBear like this.
  14. holymolar

holymolar Member

[
    [​IMG][/quote]
    I forgot some things.

Drill bits like these can be used in a dremel if you have the assorted sized collets (sp?) to save a lot of time. However, before turning on the dremel, introduce the drill bit into the stem because the tip can skip off and scratch the bit if it's already running before it goes in.

You don't have to be too concerned about straightening and rebending stems. It's easier than you may think. I use an inexpensive heat gun that I picked up at Harbor Freight for about $12 and clamp it into a vise or just lay it on its' side on a table. Leave the stem on the pipe so you can orient the bending and straightening. Then put a pipe cleaner into the stem but leave at least 3" of pipe cleaner sticking out of the stem to hold on to. I used to wear gloves to pass the stem over the heat because the stem gets too hot to handle. But now I just bend and straighten the stem while holding the bowl with one hand and the pipe cleaner with the other hand. On low heat, it only takes 1 minute or less to soften the stem enough to bend. Then remove from the heat and just push up or down on the pipe cleaner to straighten or bend the stem to your liking. Hold the bend for a minute or two until the stem cools (or, I just run some water over the stem to cool it quicker). If you don't like the bend, simply repeat and correct. Very easy. This explanation took much longer to type than it does to do the procedure. Give it a try and see how easy it is with a heat gun on low. Other ways of heating the stem (hair dryer, lighter, etc) is risky.

One last comment. Don't try to heat and bend nylon pipe bits like on Falcon pipes. The nylon will not bend and will start to melt. I learned that the hard way. Vulcanite and acrylic stems bend easily but the acrylic ones take a little longer to soften.

Smokey Tom, Rodfather, Summit and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.