1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on new pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by tmson, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmson

tmson Member

First of all I would like to say I'm new to the forums and pretty new to pipe smoking. Been smoking about 2 months 3-4 bowls a week. I am finally at the point were I truly enjoy each puff and avoid the tongue bite that plagued my first month (thanks in no small part to lurking on this forum). I have been smoking an estate edward's apple with several house blends from the Briary which i quiet enjoy, however I am looking to change things up a bit with a little better quality pipe. This is the one I am looking at

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=savsat611

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion on the Saturnia line, I really like the mixed finish.
    Also if you have any opinions on a few tins of aromatic to try please let me know

thanks in advance

2. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

That's a nice looking savinelli! I'm pretty new myself and don't know if it would perform or not (but I feel that it would, Savi's seem to get a lot of goodwill around here), but it's pretty sharp looking.

3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

You really can't go wrong w/ a Savinelli, It's a balsa wood filter pipe which work very well for keeping your smoke dry (no gurgle) also less tongue bite. You can also smoke it w/out the filter, it comes w/ a small adaptor for this purpose. And it looks very nice.

4. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I don't think you can go wrong with a Sav. One of my favorites is my "Bing's Favorite". I quit using the balsa insert as it was just too much trouble to change out. I like the look of the Saturnia line and have been wanting one of those myself.

As far as aeromatics - I like Peterson's De Luxe Mixture.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

No experience of Saninelli's myself, but just thought I'd take the opportunity to say welcome to the Forum and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Did enough "lurking" before I joined my first forum and despite the years I'd been smoking a pipe I picked up a lot of good hints and tips.

Welcome again

Gerry

6. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Never used one, but never heard anything bad about them either.

Wlecome to the show.

7. noflex

noflex Member

I have a Saturina #173, 10+ years now, and it has always been a very good smoker, I'll say you can't go wrong on this.

8. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

That's a good pipe and a really decent value... :D

9. blackpipe

blackpipe Member

great pipes, savinellis smoke great

try WO larsen signature(good aromatic) and sillems Black)(aromatic mixed with english)

10. tmson

tmson Member

Thanks for all the advice I gave in and pulled the trigger today I will post my thoughts when i get it.

11. snowman

snowman Member

You picked out a real nice pipe and they smoke great,Congrats.

12. tmson

tmson Member

and she's mine

13. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

yep. definitely a pipe.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Well done! Seriously nice looking pipe in one of my favourite shapes. Have never yet heard anyone speak badly of a Savinelli so should smoke like a dream.

Enjoy for many happy years,

Gerry

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Looks every bit the proper victorian gentlman's pipe!

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Greatly looking pipe!

I also feel a little envious that you are close to The Briary. Not only did my first pipe come from there, but 6 of my seven pipes did as well. They have a great selection of pipes in all different price ranges and Skip Elliot is a super nice guy with lots of tips.

As far as aromatics, I just received my order from The Briary of 1 lb Yorkshire and 1 lb of Blue Ribbon. Those are my favorites and you can't beat the price for high quality tobacco. Yorkshire is from Lane Limited and Blue Ribbon comes from McClelland.

They have a huge selection of tins to choose from and will help you find something to your taste as well. I do live in Texas, but stopped through Alabama last summer on family vacation. My experience at The Briary was awesome!

Good luck with your new Sav. :bing:

17. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Nice pipe. I would have gone for a Jan Pietenpauw....... :bing:

18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

What? Jan Pietenpauw doesn't even exist. :iiam:

:hmm:

19. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I own two Savs and a Sav second (Estella)....all are quality smoking pipes. As for aromatics, two come to mind. Evening Stroll by Benjamine Hartwell amd Shortcut to Mushrooms, a house blend from Just For him Tobacconists. Both can be had on-line, and both are "house-worthy" with a good tobacco flavor.

20. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Very vice pipe. Hope it brings good smokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.