1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion wanted on estate dunhill

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nick P, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick P

Nick P Member

I'm a new member here, and have really enjoyed all the information already here. Thank you!

I came across of old dunhill shell, what appears to be a group 1 or 2. Anyway, it has a repair on the shank, a metal band, presumably to stabilize a crack. Also, the stem is not original. The gentlemen selling it wants $100 for it. What do you guys think? Is it worth that much? On the one hand, I could use that $100 towards another pipe. But I wouldn't want to wander around or toss a $300 pipe in my bag. I would just worry too much about something happening to it.

He is also selling a Red Briar, which is either a group 5 or an ODA, not sure. Its in great shape and he wants $200 for it. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on that one, but I would really like some more expert advice before I do. Unfortunately I do not have any photos yet, but these are both more in the user grade of pipes as opposed to a display piece, if that makes sense. Some light rim charring, but nothing too severe.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance

-Nick

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Hi Nick,

I don't like the sound of the 100 dollar option at all. Get some pictures up.

neoclassical and Professor like this.
  3. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

shank repair and replacement stem? I'd put my $100 toward one with no issues.

N3M0, neoclassical and JimInks like this.
  4. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I think I would pass.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Well, it depends. Do you want the Dunhill name on one of your pipes? If you do, the $100 pipe is probably ok, but I'd want to get a good look at the band and inside the shank where the crack is. Usually a metal band will stop a crack. Replacement stems, if done by a professional, are usually just fine, although they diminish the pipe's resale value. $100 doesn't sound like too much to pay if everything is sound. Then again, a pipe named Dunhill with a metal band covering a crack and a replacement stem isn't going to elicit too many ooh's and ah's.

That said, the Redbark is probably the better deal. Then again, it's twice the price, but it's also quite a bit bigger and devoid of problems.

My best advice is not to chase marques. If you like those particular Dunhills and they are in good shape, by all means buy one of them. But if you just want a Dunhill, perhaps it's best to continue the search. When I first started, I absolutely HAD to have a Dunhill. An estate Group 4 Tanshell is all I could find in my price range. The pipe was too small and I rarely smoked it. Eventually I sold it at a loss.

If you put up pics, try to take one of the inside of the shank so we can see the crack.

N3M0, PipeLotus and jpberg like this.
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

Pics please

7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Pics may be helpful, but in the state you described I don't think it would be worth $100 to me at all. Save it for something better!

8. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I'd have to see it and handle it if it's been repaired and the stem is not original myself... BUT, if you really like it, it may not be a bad deal. That's the chance you take. You can get some really nice pipes for $100 brand spanking new, even some decent meers go for around that price, one of mine was only $119 if I'm remembering correctly. It's up to you. If you can, post some pics.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It kinda depends ... you could get a Dunhill Mouthpiece for 50 bucks , I think . Then you'd have a 150 Dunhill w/ a repair band . If the pipe is pristine [ other than the band issue ] and a cool shape you dont see often , then i think it might be worth it . If it's a common shape and in so so condition , if it were me , I'd hold off till something w/out issues pops up . The thing about Ebay is that theres 3,000 pipes everyday on it

Tony Malerich and Preacher1611 like this.
  10. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I don't think so. Dunhill stems are hand cut for the pipe. It would surprise me if Dunhill produced generic white dot replacement stems given that, but maybe. Even so, a pre-cut stem wouldn't match the shank.

11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

As for me I would have to actually handle, and inspect the pipe first. Granted you cannot---SSOO--what to do. As was said--if its a Dunhill that you are looking for, and that "Dunhill" name is something you are looking to add to your pipe collection I think I would keep saving, and hold off. Maybe the Red, but with the other pipe--The replacement stem I could live with. HOWEVER--I would be VERY concerned whats under that band. I would want to inspect that pipe pretty close prior to buying it if I were you. That $100.00 you have could go towards saving for something else in the Dunhill pipe line of pipes that comes along. Keep your eyes peeled for other pipes. At the end of the day it is your decision to make. If I were in that situation perhaps if you could get the price down from where its at---I wouldn't pay $100.00 for a pipe that has a replacement stem, and band to repair a crack--thats just me though. Good Luck in your quest.

12. len smetona

len smetona Member

For me, the pleasure of owning a Dunhill would not be had with a busted Dunhill. I would rather buy a new Sav or Pete, or put the money towards a better Dunhill. I doubt I'll ever own a new Dunhill, but there are nice used ones out there.

Plus, maybe someone here can tell for sure, but I think it was 1968 when Alfed Dunhill retired. So, the Pre-68s have the value of Alfred walking the shop, which adds to there value?

Hold out for pictures! Too easy to get a piece of "valuable" junk.

13. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

68 was also the last year that Dunhills were all bench made if I recall

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

for me, it depends on when the repair was done and the stem replaced. was it done by the original owner? if that is the case, then this pipe was probably such a good smoker that the owner went and had the repair done and the stem replaced...

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'd pass. Sounds like a used Triumph I once had; briefly...

16. Nick P

Nick P Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you all so very much for the replies and opinions. There were a lot of great points brought up which I hadn't considered.

Dondi, that is really an interesting thought and one I hadn't even contemplated. The guy selling them has a number of other dunhills for sale, more expensive ones actually, and so I am sure that this repair was done by him, and it begs the question of whether it was such a good smoker that he had it repaired instead of just using his many other pipes.

I think the response has been overwhelmingly to pass on it. If I can get a good deal on it, maybe I'll reconsider, but there are certainly tons of them out there. Thanks so much for the advice

Dondi likes this.
  17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Certain Pipe repair guys are authorised by Dunhill and others . I'm pretty sure around 50 bucks will get a white spot stem on it . I sent pipes to Norwoods for stems but dont remember if it was him or the guy in Califonia that was authorised Dunhill . I remember there being a few guys aacross the country that were authorised to do them . Heck , it probably costs more than 50 these days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.