1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Opinions on an 'Excel 309'

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Driftwoodsound, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwoodsound

Driftwoodsound Member

Hello Gents,

I've been smoking a corn cob for a couple of months and feel I've got the hang of packing, lighting, and smoking.
    I decided to buy my first wooden pipe today. I got myself an Excel 309.
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any experience with this brand of pipe? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info around the net on this one.

Driftwood

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

More than likely a basket pipe. Or in other words..... literally, pipes sold from baskets, box, bowl etc. at B&Ms.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

No info on that brand here. Where did you buy it, and how much did you pay?

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

I would agree with Jesla, it is most likely a basket pipe and a nice looking one at that...

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Probably somebody's line of seconds. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It's a handsome shape!

6. Driftwoodsound

Driftwoodsound Member

I picked it up at a tobacconist in Melbourne, Australia (at a place on Flinders St for the locals) for $35.
    When I brought it the bowl had a greyish lining. Is this a sign of the bowl being 'pre-lined or carbonated (not sure of the proper term)?
    I'm having my second bowl from it now, smoking The Malthouse Founders Reserve. So far so good but I'm taking it slow to break it in.
    My only gripe so far is that the pipe doesn't stand up on its own. the base is rounded so the pipe will always roll to one side.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

From what you describe, it sounds like your pipe came with a carbonized bowl coating which will help protect the bowl during the break in process and you start to build a cake, also, to prevent your pipe from rolling around when you set it down pick up one of those plastic folding pipe stands or use a small ashtray.

8. Driftwoodsound

Driftwoodsound Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. On the 3rd bowl with this pipe. Having a bit of trouble keeping it lit but this could be a moist tobacco thing.

Marc: I fidured something like that would exist. Might see it the tobacconist in the city stock them.

Thanks again.

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Don't worry too much about keeping the tobacco lit right away, that will improve as you gain experience, though there will always be relights to some extent. One thing you may try, if you haven't already, is to dry your tobacco a bit before smoking. Just leave it out in the open, either in the pipe or in a small bowl, for at least thirty minutes before smoking. You don't want it to be moist enough to stick together easily when you smoke it, but it shouldn't be dry and crunchy, either.

I see you have been smoking The Malthouse - Founder's Reserve. I really like that blend, and I think it's a good choice when you are starting out. It does a nice job of walking the line between a traditional tobacco flavor and a sweet aromatic flavor, being neither overwhelming nor cloying.

Happy smoking!

Herb

Beale likes this.
  10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Looks like a nice pipe. Follow the responces of the gents above. Soon you will be enjoying all that pipe smoking has! Beale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.