1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Ordered McClelland 5100

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ephraim, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

So in my quest to find a simple and inexpensive Virginia to keep on hand I ordered a couple ounces of McClelland 5100.
    When I lived in the DC area I used to frequent Georgetown Tobacco, and really enjoyed their blends. In particular they have a Virginia called Jabberwock which was my go-to straight Virginia for a couple years.
    After reading some reviews of 5100, I thought it might hit the mark as a replacement for Jabberwock, so I went ahead and ordered some.

Anyway, anyone here enjoy 5100? Anything bad, weird, good, great about it? Is it a simple straightforward Virginia?
    Appreciate any input. Thanks :)

2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I got some Red Cake -- McClelland 5100 -- after it was mentioned several times on the forum. I credit cobbsmoker, but there were others I'm sure. I really enjoy it and get some very pleasant and long smokes from a bowl of this blend. When I had momentary qualms about loading up a bowl with it -- because I didn't want to run out -- I knew I had to order more.

In a related note...another blend from McClelland I really have enjoyed the past several years is 5125, also dubbed Coyote Classic or Coyote Full English, depending on the e-store. It is what one might call a "rich, full body blend." To me it is a very pleasant evening smoke.

BriarRabbit, LifeOfRiley and Ephraim like this.
  3. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Thanks Coastal, that's definitely encouraging.
    Will have to check out 5125 as well.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

McClelland #5100 Red Cake is what I recommend for all new smokers wanting to try a natural flue-cured Virginia, it's a light, sweet, ready-rubbed Red Virginia that is easy to smoke and very user friendly also makes a good blender for sweetening up other blends.

5. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

5100 is my favorite Virginia that I have stumbled upon so far.

Ephraim likes this.
  6. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I just picked some up today. I'm waiting for my POY to smoke it in though.

Ephraim likes this.
  7. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

My order was shipped yesterday (ordered from PipesAndCigars), so hopefully it'll be here no later than Tuesday.
    Looking forward to trying it. The McClelland Virginia should fit in nicely among the Burleys I smoke. Virginias used to be in my daily rotation.
    I'll definitely try blending some as well.
    Thanks for the feedback :)

cobbsmoker and Skrymr like this.
  8. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

5125 is a sorely overlooked blend, IMHO. It was the first English I smoked. Fine, fine tobacco.

Ephraim and Coastal Bend like this.
  9. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Cobbsmoker recommended #5100 to me as well and it was a great introduction to Virginias. Mc. Clellan does an outstanding job on all of their Virginia blends and, with the help of Cobbsmokers enabling technique, I have found several that I like. Virginia Woods, #22, and #35 for examples.

Ephraim and cobbsmoker like this.
  10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

What is #35? Or did you mean #25?

11. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Stave-Aged Virginia 35 Ribbon, sorry it's not #35.

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:doh: I should have caught that! LOL

Artistik likes this.
  13. mugwump

mugwump Member

5100 always winds up pushed to the back of my cellar as I try new blends until I eventually unearth the jar and load up a cob. Then I remember why I enjoy the stuff so much and double-check to make sure I have plenty on hand. Rich, nutty, and sweet -- it smokes great and is a fantastic blending tobacco as well.

dmkerr, Ephraim and Artistik like this.
  14. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Checked on my order/shipment tracking and it looks like it'll arrive tomorrow.
    I have a jar waiting for it. I used to really enjoy straight Virginias, and unless my palate has changed much over the past couple years I'm sure I'll enjoy 5100.
    I didn't realize it is ready rubbed until after my order, (rubbing out flakes myself was kinda fun) but that's no big deal.
    Thanks again for the input. Should I wish to explore other Virginias I know where to come for advice :)

15. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Do ya think it would mix well with CH or SWR? I'll experiment with blending 5100 when it arrives, but after trying it out straight of course.

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I don't know, I have never used it to blend with OTC tobaccos but I have used it with other McClelland blends with great success, give it a try, mix a small amount and see what you think and share your results with everyone else.

Ephraim likes this.
  17. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Will do, thanks.
    I'll also use my brother's camera to snap a quick shot of the 5100 w/pipe. I'll post it here tomorrow assuming it arrives on schedule.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  18. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I would think a 50-50 mix might not work too well with SWR. Perhaps one blend with a heavier concentration of SWR and another with more 5100.

5100 might work better with CH.

I guess try it every which way and see! :th1:

Ephraim likes this.
  19. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Well, the 5100 actually arrived today :)
    Smoking my first bowl of it right now...nearly finished.

The aroma on opening the bag was very tangy, rich and sweet (I guess ketchup-like, but I like it).
    The rubbed out ribbons pack and light easily.
    The smoke itself is very pleasant indeed! Slightly musty taste, rich and delicately sweet with hints of earthiness as well. Actually more complex than I expected, but with subtleties of flavor as well.
    The smoke seems to be maintaining its flavor all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
    Zero tongue bite when pushed, but then I never really had a problem with that.

Very glad I tried this out. Its going to be in my daily rotation and I'll be ordering some more soon, as I definitely do not want to run out of this tobacco. Good stuff! :puffy:

Skrymr and BriarRabbit like this.
  20. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

What about #2005? Anyone tried it before? or #2010?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.