Oriental Blends With Mostly Latakia Are Hard To Keep Lit!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dunhill93, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

I think that oriental blends that have predominately latakia in them are a bit harder to keep lit than normal english blends. I have some Frog Morton On The Town and it is much harder to keep lit than some of my other blends. I have to go through about 4 or 5 charring lights just to get the blend going while at the same time scorching my tongue just to have the ember die on me in like 15 seconds. I have dried this blend for quite a long time and it still gives me issues in the pipe. Does anyone else have any of these issues with latakia heavy blends?

2. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I haven't had trouble with the lat blends I've tried. Dunhill London Mixtuee, SG Skiff Mixture and dunhill 965 all stayed lit very well for me. I have more trouble with some of the flakes.

3. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

oh ok, what flakes did you have issues with?

4. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Having issues with SG Chocolate Flake as we type :p

5. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

that sounds like a picky baccy. especially since it has a casing in it. do you get any bite with that blend?

6. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

No bite and very nice flavour, despite having to relight it a half dozen times or more. This is after drying it for a long time, too.

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Either try a little more drying time, or it might be a body chemistry thing Dunhill. One of the reasons I love my Orientals and Lats is that they smoke so cool that I can't get them to bite me if I try, so I puff right away, and they hardly ever go out on me. (I know that's not good technique guys, I promise I don't char the flavor out of the blend by over-puffing, but I don't have to sip as carefully with them to keep them from biting.)

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Just a suspicion that you might need to tamp just a little more firmly and evenly after the charring light. If you are scorching your tongue then it's likely that you are packing a bit too loosely. Little changes can make a big difference.

9. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

your right, orientals and lats do smoke cooler especially compared to the dreaded virginias lol.

Rodfather likes this.
  10. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

i will try tamping harder, i think i may pack a little too lose because i use the 3 step method when it comes to packing but I do it a little soft due to the cut of the frog morton on the town and im afraid of clogging the air way on my pipe

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

There's all kind of methods of getting tobacco in to a pipe. I just put the pipe in my pouch or tin and use my finger to pull the tobacco in to the bowl. Gently at first and a little more firmly as the bowl fills. Sometimes it looks like it's overfilled when it comes out of the pouch but a charring light and a quick tamp levels everything out. Whatever works for you is right for you.

Rewster66 and Dunhill93 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.