1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Oriental Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So, my latest interest is in Oriental blends. You know, blends of an "English" nature where latakia, being an oriental tobacco, is welcome to attend but is not the reason for the party. It may show up, but it's never at the forefront.

Right now I'm smoking Presbyterian Mixture and I'm totally enthralled by it. I intend to try a few of the McClelland Oriental blends, both the green labelled tins and the "Grand Orientals" lineup.

Suggest more, because I want to know what you folks like! It seems these days all the focus is on latakia, as much as possible. While I love latakia and sometimes am in the mood for a lat bomb, I often find it overwhelming and find low-latakia blends to often be far more elegantly blended.

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

RRR. Sweeter than Presb. and my go-to 'English' style.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Hmm, I found Presby to be pretty sweet as it is (hey, we're a sweet bunch anyway!) so the idea of RRR being sweeter is intriguing I suppose. I'm definitely acquiring a taste for a strong VA presence, so I'll give it a try!

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Another good one is FMATP, Beale.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

McConnell's Oriental tastes like a typical English without the Latakia. It's not the absolute best blend I've ever smoked but it is good and it makes a nice alternative once in a while. I recommend it to smokers who don't like Latakia. It has the complex sweet/sour taste without the salty/smokey overtones.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

C&D #414 Oriental Silk. Nice & smooth, loaded with flavors but not overly so.

Dunhill Mixture Mellow. It's a sleeper! Very nice "ahaaaa" smoke, hey, it's Dunhill!

All of the 4 star McCl's Grand Orientals are superb, even the 3 star'd ones.

SG Sam's Flake. It's SG....... what more is there to say?!

Ed
    Puff

7. Snake

...other than, try to find it. ;)

8. Snake

Nesta,
    PM me, I'll send you a sample.

9. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

i would love to get into orientials but the aroma is just horrid for my roomates. Im quite sure they wont approve of a big bowl of Presbytrian

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I second the C&D Oriental Silk! :th1:

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian comes in a 100g tin for the price of most 50's. To top that, it is one of my favorites! The lat is just a seasoning, it is slightly sweet and it is so stinking smooth! I got a tin as a gift and am very surprised at how much I love it.

Another I am crazy for is SG Skiff Mixture. If I could buy a couple pounds of it, I would. When and if I ever find it in bulk, I plan to buy a pipe to dedicate to Skiff and Skiff alone. Dang, its like eating a rich appetizer that you can't get enough of.

albot9 likes this.
  12. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Hi BradNTx -- God bless the great state of Tx- Lived there my whole life -recently moved to llinois......I still drive around with a Don't mess with Texas bumper sticker and have a Republic flag in my yard..well getting to my point....the B&M near me had pounds of Skiff. P.M. me and we can set something up.. Sorry for the highjack. But everyone is going to say I'm crazy bbut SG xblend is a nice smooth oriental if you can find it.....

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Early Morning Pipe, Skiff and Red Rapparee are quite a trio - all are clear oriental blends with latakia being obvious but not the blends' reason to be.

If you try Red Rap you'll see how it is sweet, but in a way unlike Presbyterian Mixture.

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Glad you like it! I know it's been hit pretty hard on TR, but I like it quite well myself :byg:

15. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Rattray's is a classic brand of orientals. Some might say most are more Scottish because they contain unflavored cavendish, but, except for their straight Va's, the predominant theme among them is oriental.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ah, good to know. I'm DEFINITELY going to have to check them out then. What about Accountants? That's pretty heavy on the lat, if I understand correctly. Never smoked any of their stuff though

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Pease Cairo is an Virginia/Oriental that is very good. Pease Chelsea Morning (which I don't much care for in the morning) is a pretty good English blend with a focus on the Orientals. SG's Squadron Leader and Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme are excellent English blends with the focus on the Orientals and the Latakia taking a back seat. Peterson's Old Dublin is an English blend that's got a good dose of Latakia, and then a a big dose of Greek Oriental Basma on top. (The wife has officially banned me from smoking Old Dublin in the house).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.