Oriental

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I will be getting some McClellands "Classic Samsung" soon, however I wanted to ask if anyone has enjoyed this. What do you think, and how would you describe Oriental tobacco in general?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I havent tried it but will look forward to your review . I like Oriental leaf. I Enjoy IRC Royal which is an Oriental forward blend and the PS EOS is stellar ! I've never been able to describe Oriental flavor other than it tastes the way Oriental does ... it's very different stuff to me . In a broad way I'd say rustic elegance , which dosent describe anything really :)

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Haven't tried that one, but the Drama Reserve from that series is excellent, and my memory of the Katerini Classic (I've only had a couple of sample bowls) is that it was very good too. I'm with Ruff, though, I can't really describe Orientals that well, but I'm notoriously unable to describe anything very well.

My cell phone is a Samsung, and I like it OK.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I'm pretty sure it's "Samsun," and I've had it. That's the one with the whole leaf on top; they're tiny things. Flavor-wise, the Oriental component is like a mildly spicy tea. It's tasty stuff, though maybe not outright exciting.

5. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

I have tried it, and it is outstanding IMHO. I am not in a finanically wonderful condition with the current recession, but after smoking a couple bowls, I ordered another tin and have it cellared. Very tasty stuff!

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

I really enjoyed FMATP and PSEO. Both of these are in my rotation. I like that I can get both local, Beale.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The Samsun and Drama are my 2 faves from the McClellands Grand Oriental series, and they couldn't be more different from one another. Samsun is much spicier and earthier while Drama is sweeter and milder. Both are excellent and in my rotation.

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

This makes me think that perhaps I should try Drama first!

9. dmkerr

Well, one of 'em has to come first! :puffy:

10. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Eeny, meeny, miiny, mo!:confused:

I guess it's not a big deal. I'll get what my local has, first.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I went touring through McCl's Grand Orientals and didn't find a bad smoke from any of 'em. Drama Reserve kicksasss imo.

Samsun is no slouch either. All different in their own little leaf way.

Enjoy!

Ed
    Puff

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Haven't tried either of those, but RRR is also
    a great Oriental. Again, hard to describe
    the taste.

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree that the Drama is very sweet, and your description makes me think that the Samsun will be the next stop on my own tour of the Grand Orientals. Now that i think about it, I had a tin of G.L. Pease's Samarra a long time ago, which I believe features Samsun as the main condiment, and I really liked that, though I haven't gone out of my way to get any more in a while.

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I thought the single tin I had of the GO line Smyrna was stellar, and was almost as good as a Marlboro Special Blend cigarette. What I mean is it was too ciggy like for me(...and I enjoy Five Bros. and various VA's!!! Might be permission right there to ignore me). But I found it basically a lightly spiced red VA. I suppose i'm being harsh, but for in your face oriental presence, i'd rather Red Rapparee. I put my Grand Orientals tour on indefinite hiatus. If you don't mind Perique, I'd even suggest Sunday Picnic or Tudor Castle...VA/Per/Turk's that have more going for them thsn the plain jane GO series.

Only my .02

15. dmkerr

Definitely stay away from the Yenice Agonya and Katernini if you found the Smyrna too bland. But if you pick up the tour again, I'd recommend going straight to the Samsun. It's probably the most unique of the bunch.

And their "plain jane" nature was the point. McClellands wanted to produce orientals that weren't overpowered by other tobaccos so that the smoker could get a good idea of what the particular varietals tasted like. That said, I prefer C&D's Oriental Silk over any of the GO series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.