Orlik Golden Sliced, tried ...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

... Orlik Golden Sliced, loved!!!

This one will be tough to beat. It will be in my main rotation.

Naturally sweet & beyond my expectations, along with a tangy citrus flavor.

2. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

On a basic level for me, I don't like the spicyness. Naturally sweet is right, I like that part.

3. Legend

Legend Member

I agree. I may just be the only pipesmoker ever to not really like OGS. It was just...MEH. Mac Baren Navy Flake to me had a similar profile, and was just so much easier to work with. A little more nicotine in it as well. The OGS was just a little too "tangy" for me.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

OGS is one of my favorites and I've even put aside a few tins to age. Definitely one I like to keep in the rotation!

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1

Easily in my top three.
    Cellaring about 10 tins
    at the moment.

dp

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks to Mitch's generosity there's a tin of this waiting for me when I get back to Scotland next week.

Really looking forward to revisiting this one,

Best to all

Gerry

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

OGS is good stuff, to be sure. I don't follow the spicy comments, unless that is a reference to the inherent 'brassyness' of light VA's, but to each his own there. I believe it was the first VA flake I personally tried, and I would have trouble recommending a better one even now.

Glad you enjoyed it.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I probably liked it slightly more than you did, but only slightly. A little too much citrus for me. Lots of flutes and violins in that orchestra but it could use some cellos and bassoons.

Diff'rent strokes....

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

+1

Whenever I get that "Must smoke sour lemons!" thing going I crack open a tin of OGS. Before getting bored with it (usually around the last 1/3 of a tin) I'll toss in 25-30% McC 5100 and a few pinches of stoved virginia.

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Though usually a smoker of darker flakes - I really like an occasional change with OGS....very nice stuff!. A few months ago I received a four-year old tin from a friend in Sweden and it was excellent!
    Cheers, OT

ps...strangely enough, whenever I smoke it - I get the urge for Earl Grey tea!...try the combo - it's good!

11. dmkerr

LOL - I managed to finish my 100 gram tin by rubbing it out completely and adding 10% Kelly's Coin (dark burley) and 10% perique. It was a mess, but it improved the flavor.

Too much lemon VA just doesn't work for me. I have to offset all that beaming happiness with a little darkness.

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

dmk needs a hug. :flowers:

dp

13. dmkerr

Taking the strange thing further out, Greg Pease once mentioned that he can only smoke this in Denmark. Certainly no science behind that, but who am I to argue?

14. Aureliano

Aureliano Member

Can anyone tell me offhand how OGS compares to Mac Baren Virginia Flake?

15. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Gee, I'm in Orange County, CA ... where lemons are growing right beside my spot. The smell of those citrus buds this time of year, is my favorite scent of all. Maybe there's some science behind this! :yes:

16. dmkerr

No, that would be psychology... and when it comes to the area of personal tastes, psychology beats the living ****e outta science! :eek:hyeah:

Then again, psychology is a science, so I'm with you on this, mate!

17. dmkerr

I find the Mac B to have a smidge less of the citrusy taste but it's flatter as a result not as lively. That could be either good or bad, depending on your taste.

I'm wondering how the VF will age, as I have a pound of it in my cellar that's about 2 years old. I should crack it and see!

18. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like OGS. It isn't a superstar for me, but a good, solid, always enjoyable, basic smoke. Kind of like a hamburger - it isn't a gourmet meal, but it always satisfies.

19. Aureliano

Aureliano Member

Thank you dmk. I think I'm gonna need some OGS in my life.

20. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Just had my first taste of OGS......yum!

I've taken to cutting my flake into 1/4" cubes and stuffing them. So I did the same with OGS....it's flakes are the same size as MB Navy Flake. About 1/2 way thru the bowl now and I definitely get the citrus from it. 1/2 a bowl can't tell the whole story, but I still prefer MB Navy, but OGS definitely has it's place. I just think Navy has a richer, fuller flavor to it, while OGS is light and bright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.