Orlik Golden Sliced - Virginia Shennanigans

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

So, a few days ago I posted here about my "not getting" Virginia and VA/Per blends but how I wanted to keep experimentend. Someone (I can't remember who but thank you) suggested I try OGS. I ordered a tin which I got on Saturday. I can't really give you a review because I am not a Va. expert, but wanted to say WOW!

I think I found the very first Va I thoroughly enjoy and have been smoking it non-stop since. It's a bit pricey to smoke the way I have been so I hope to find something similar in bulk. Many member here have mentioned the similarities between OGS and LNF so I guess my next stop will be LNF.

If it's been on your list for a long time and haven't gotten around to try it, then by all means get yourself a tin.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have about 3oz of this if you want it. I just don't find it interesting one bit. I open to trade it for just about anything.

3. Bent

Bent Member

Yeah, I'll PM you

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You're welcome! ;)

Mark w4mms, FlatbushPaul and Mington like this.
  5. dmkerr

Should have mentioned that it's ok that you forgot. I may be the most forgettable person you know. It's fine. :D

As I recall, you listed a few VA's and VaPers, all of which leaned pretty heavily towards the darker flavor side. You just needed to try one lighter, sweeter one before you called it a day. Glad it worked out for you.

6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

A bulk Virginia I like is McClelland's 5100, Red Cake. It isn't a cake, but a bulk, rubbed out ribbon cut. It is pretty inexpensive. It is mild, slightly (but naturally) sweet, inoffensive, and with a pleasant flavor. I don't think anyone will turn a backflip over it, but it is a toby that you can smoke almost any time and enjoy.

It would make a good base toblend with some Perique, or with whatever you like, and apparently it is used that way often. But it makes a pleasant smoke all by itself

7. Bent

Bent Member

Ah, now I remember, yes, thank you!

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  8. dmkerr

Plop some McClellands Stoved Virginia in that mess! Really a nice mixture, 5100, stoved VA and perique.

Lestrade and FlatbushPaul like this.
  9. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

I've been wanting to try Orlik since I'm on a tin buying craze right now, especially anything plug flake or roll, but I cannot find this stuff anywhere!

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

OGS sucks. That's why I only have 24 tins
    of it. :whis: ;)

Robert leslie, Mike Pomery and Trauma like this.
  11. Scottly

Scottly Member

Snake likes this.
  12. Scottly

Scottly Member

By the way, the Lilbrown smoke shop is in the state of WA.

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

14. Spam

Spam Member

Just finished a bowl of this. It's good stuff. But I've noticed a peculiarity... if I smoke some during the day I get a subtle citrus note from it. If I smoke it at the evening, that's not there, rather it's a slightly darker tasting toby. I think this warrants further investigation.

15. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I'm mostly an aro smoker but I think I might throw a small tin of this in my next order just to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

16. Scottly

Scottly Member

OGS gets better and better with age. Its one of the best VA flake toby on the market and very affordable IMHO. I add a tin to every order.

Mike Pomery and Trauma like this.
  17. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Yeah I gotta head out to Lil Brown in person, the state has a goofy law against shipping baccy. I'll be sure to take some pics when I do head down there and share a visit to a B&M that's not TB.

(nothing against Tinderbox mind you, I just wish there was more than one local B&M around, Tacoma Pipe and Tobacco is great and all, but their selection of baccy related products are really anemic, their focus is on imported beers, which are just as nifty as baccy)

18. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Sounds interesting....

19. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Does the citrus taste mellow with age? I like OGS but I find the citrus taste to be a bit strong for my liking. About halfway through a bowl it's not as apparent and I enjoy it a lot more.

I'm kind of a purist with my vices. I like my tobacco to taste like tobacco, not flavorings. And I like my beer to taste like beer, not fruit, spices or any of the other additives that some beers have.

20. Scottly

Scottly Member

Yes to me the citrus flavor does mellow out a lot. I have a 2 1/2 year old 100g tin, got maybe 1/4 left in it. It has changed for the better for sure. imho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.