Orlik Golden Sliced

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Greatwall, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

So I got a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced and at first I did not care for it but I decided to try smoking the whole tin without any other tobaccos getting in the way. I am about 4 - 6 slices in and I am starting to like it a bit more. I have a bit of a head cold so I can't smoke it much right now but I will let ya'll know what I think of it when I get closer to the bottom of the tin.

2. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

This was the first non-aromatic tobacco that I "got." I love the stuff. When I'm in the mood for an Aro, I smoke OGS. I think it is so fragrant and delicious and wonderful. :D

3. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I'm a huge OGS fan. It's best with a lot of age on it. I stumbled upon four 30yr old tins a few years ago and have now all but gone through the last of that aged tobacco, but I've got a few pounds in tins aging in my cellar. I'll probably pop a tin after 5 years to see how they're doing.

PipeSimmo and Mington like this.
  4. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I haven't smoked OGS since I learned that it contains Perique, although I really didn't notice it in the blend before. Great stuff with an awesome citrus tang to it.

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The Perique is very subtle...but its there.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

This is a Benchmark type blend ! Theres nothing not to like about it :th1:It cant offend and smokes fine . You could be at a B&M , pop a tin of it and pass it around ... it would probably come back near empty .. lol ... it's just one of those blends

Coda likes this.
  7. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

:nwor:

UberHuberMan and MakDragon like this.
  8. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I am out of any right now, but this is very good stuff.

9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Its decently cheap too...about $7 a tin online. Thats for 50 grams...which is closer to 2 ounces than 1.5...which means it is almost as much as most fancy bulk blends...and its in a tin to boot!

DakOOk likes this.
  10. physiognomy

physiognomy Member

Thanks for starting a discussion about OGS. I have been thinking for a while that I need to give this blend another try... I picked up a tin when I first explored VA blends, but didn't find it all that interesting. It was pretty mild & reminded me a little of cigarette tobacco? I tasted lots of grassy hay & found little sweetness... Hopefully my experience will be different a second time around.

11. Morse

Morse Active Member

TheSmoker likes this.
  12. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

Picking up a couple tins very soon.

13. BigG

BigG Member

A few years ago, after I smoked my first tin of OGS, I started stocking up.
    The stuff is freakin' delicious.
    If you like OGS, try Reiner Long Golden Flake.

14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Excellent tobacco, priced right. No complaints here.

15. Iain

Iain Active Member

OGS is one of my favourites, it is fairly mild but that just makes it the perfect blend for puffing away on all day.

16. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Love me some OGS. Just got turned on to it recently, and it's definitely in my top 5 favorite tobaccos. Even Mrs. Mikey J. approves of the room note. Which is saying something since it's a non-aro...

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The recent pouch of Sail Natural I got for free from Lane had a pouch note that is very similar to OGS. Makes sense, though, since Sail is made my Orlik...

18. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I think OGS is the best value in pipe tobacco. Beautiful pressed Virginias, a taste of Perique all for $7 a 50g tin? Can't beat it.
    Now the cigarette flavor, I enjoy this blend tremendously and have never thought about cigarettes, however it is delicate and if you hit it too hard it can scorch. While trying to learn the fold and stuff technique, I packed too tight, huffed to get and keep lit and it was burnt. Once that happens it doesn't recover well and I've experienced a burnt bitter smoke. I wonder if that is what some describe as the cigarette taste or smell. When I've got the bowl right and the light right all I get is a smooth slightly sweet Virginia flavor.

19. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Bought 2 tins of OGS a few years ago to try and I think I put the tins in my cellar and I know I forgot about them...... Must go see....

20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I guess I am in the minority when I say I am not a big fan. I think there are just so many more flavorful flakes on the market. To my tastes it has a very grassy and hay like flavor when it is young. When it is aged the grassiness is less pronounced but still in the background. I have never been able to taste any perique in this one and I do love perique. The last tin( 100 grams) I smoked of this was 17 years old and I smoked it over the summer. Now I do recognize the value it represents as it is one of the least expensive flakes out there, and it is a great beginner flake because it does not bite. I would recommend to anyone who wants to delve into the world of flakes to try the following because in my opinion they have more flavor and they are just as easy to smoke.
    Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage
    Astley 109
    Dunhill Flake
    Wessex Gold Virginia Flake.
    SG Best Brown Flake( 8.95 a tin at JR's)

I understand that all of these cost more, but if you break it down to cost per bowl, it is only pennies. To my tastes, these have much more flavor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.