1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

OTC burley blend for creating cake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by PickingLeaves, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

My new pipe is coming in within a few days and I really want to start it good by creating a good cake, I also want this to go as fast as possible so I can get around to smoking some of my more meditative blends in the pipe. I sort of need a tip for a good OTC burley blend since I'm not too sure the pure burleys can be found without going trough a long ordering process where I live. My thoughts was to go with the Borkum Riff - Genuine Pure Tobacco that doesn't have anything added to it from what I can tell. It should also be readily available as I see it which is good for me. Any other suggestions?

I've also given Solani - Aged Burley a thought, what do you think about this and how good is it to use a flake when caking a pipe?

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I usually use PA. Most of the time it can be found in a local B&M.

whitebriar likes this.
  3. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

I break in all of my pipes with Carter Hall.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Prince Albert does the best job of any tobacco I've found. Maybe it's the crimp cut. Provides a quick cake that is incredibly robust.

whitebriar likes this.
  5. Johnny

Johnny Member

I like to use Prince Albert, 5Bros and Storm Front to build cake in my pipes. I've heard that burley builds a softer cake than Virginia does but I haven't noticed a difference

6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

My experience is that it does a little. I can ream a pipe dedicated to burleys quicker than one devoted to Virginias. The difference is not enormous, but noticeable, to me, anyway.

7. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

Thank ou all for the responses, I went to another store since the pipe I wanted couldn't be ordered and was given the advice to cake with Davidoff Green Mixture. I think it will do the job for me and it does smell really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.