1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

OTC - PA, CH, etc.. where Columbus, OH?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

anyone know where a guy could find OTC other than CBW I would like to try PA, CH, Sugar Barrel, etc?

Thanks

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

PM sent.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

www.4noggins.com sells OTC's in 2 oz baggies as well as the larger tubs. I get my Sugar Barrel, Walnut and Granger from there.

Shoot, I need to learn to read! Did you mean where in Columbus, OH? That I do not know. Sorry - 'twas a case of ready, fire, aim on my part. :whistle:

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Does Smokers Haven carry that stuff?

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

CVS, Walgrens, Mejeirs, Wally's, Krogers, Giant Eagle, service staions only have CBW (if they have any).. The actual smoke shops don't have OTC stuff. I did get a tip about Tobacco Connection which I need to check out.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Are you against ordering from an online source?

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

not particularly.. that's how I have found most of my tins, pipes, etc.. just thought it would be nice to have a local source if possible. someone suggested Tobacco Discounters and I found 2 locations in town so I'll check them out tomorrow.

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have found PA and CH locally here without a problem.
    I had to order Sugar Barrel online.

What state are you from?

9. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Low Bobs, if you have one nearby, stocks the classic OTC's, and Altadis Tobacco Galleria blends if they haven't sold out (they're clearancing it @ 2$ a pouch).

10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

not being from your area this is sort of a blind reply---

i usually find my OTC (PA, SWR, CH) at supermarkets, {locked behind a glass wall}--i had to pester the manager to get him to finally stock SWR--guess he got tired of me cause a few weeks ago he displayed it--it was drier heck, but it rehydrated well--
    it is much more economical on line, but for a quick fix and no shipping charges you might try this avenue--

11. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

^^ I also can give you some 'blind' advice.

PA - Wal-mart
    CBW, CBG - 7-11; Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, "tobacco' shops aka pot shops
    Blender's Gold - Walgreens, CVS
    Top Hat - Wal-mart, pot shops
    Bugle - Wal-mart, pot shops

Sadly I have no idea what retailers sell CH. If I did, I'd hit up every chain within 30 miles of me.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

thanks, guys.. I found a good selection at a Tobacco Connection. Cool little place, walk-in humi with good smokes, pipes, lighters, tons of stuff. I asked about Sugar barrel and the guy showed up with a catalog and said he would get some. I got PA, CH, Kentucky Club. A zippo, some pipe cleaners and was still out the door for much less than 2 tins at the local B&M.

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

HEY!!! LOOK UP!!!! :phew:

"Replying to OTC - PA, CH, etc.. where Columbus, OH?"

Mings.

Mings, Mings, Mings....

Moo.
    Just here to help.
    Moo, Moo, Moo.
    :xd:

Yo, B'inkle! Seriously. You need to start checking out Smokers Haven and whenever you walk in the door just say to yourself, "The hell with the prices. This isn't about prices." Great place, Smokers Haven. Lotsa knowledge there.

14. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

Yo, B'inkle! Seriously. You need to start checking out Smokers Haven and whenever you walk in the door just say to yourself, "The hell with the prices. This isn't about prices." Great place, Smokers Haven. Lotsa knowledge there.

you talking about the place on High Street a little north of campus?

if I'm looking for certain tins or used pipes I might stop in but I always get the feeling I'm interrupting his phone call. It wasn't about prices it's just that he doesn't carry the OTC stuff or any cigars. I use to stop in over lunch back when I worked not far from there and could sit over an hour smoking a couple of bowls and never get so much as a grunt out of him. of course your YMMV. I perfer Pipes and Pleasures or Barclays.

15. Mister Moo

They are much an internet business these days and I absolutely know the feeling you're talking about. They are mostly looking to sell upper end pipes and $100+ tobacco mail orders I guess.

Jus' sayin' - it's just a great place to look at pipes, learn some tricks and cruise their private label blends, which includes some very good stuff (KrumbleKake, to mention one) if/when the tobacco houses are shipping. I'm not local so I only drop in there when I cruise through Columbus (which ain't often lately). I see why you wouldn't want to spend hours there but ... the tobacco, when it's in stock. Yes!

16. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Timba in Powell has captin black and half and half

17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

If you went into the downtown shop in the 1970s, you were leaving with a GBD, whether you wanted one or not, and some Pedigree to smoke in it. I grew up thinking that GBD was some kind of big-deal brand. :)

18. Mister Moo

I was pretty much knocked over by the Red Hat, Vollmer & Nilsson and S. Bang pipes they had on the shelf last time I was there. The place looked like a briar fine arts museum. Walked out a a bit lighter with a V&N acorn/military (black palm ferrule) which has proven to be a wonderful orientals pipe. I am also crazy about their "20th Anniversary Import" blend from JF Germain.

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've not had good experiences with Timba. I have worked at a shop that went through them to purchase cigars, and he marks them up considerably. Seven dollars for a Flor De Oliva is simply NOT okay. Of course, we had to mark them up (under his direction) and he simply put new stickers over his old ones...so I'm sure prices are more reasonable in the actual store, but I don't like what I've seen. The store which used to be humidor plus on Cleveland Ave. across the street from Yanni's Grill and Dreamgirls, near Home Depot and McDonald's near 270 carries most all the OTC blend's you could want, as well as CAO and Sutliff Private Stock. They used to have better selection, but it's convenient for where I live. Almost any "smoker's discount" places will have the major OTC blends. Also grocery stores, CVS, and many well stocked gas stations. It's not hard to find a pouch of PA, and Half and Half is also easy to come by.

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I spend most of my time in the Westerville area, only venture out for pipe tobacco if I'm looking for something good...then I'll go to smoker's haven or something. Went there today and came home with an ounce of Kendal Light. I'll be sticking with my Kendal Dark! Right now I'm smoking some PA...got a can from the Cleveland Ave. shop a few months ago....takes forever for me to work through it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.