OTC - PA, CH, etc.. where Columbus, OH?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

Colin, I know the shop just south of 270 on Cleveland.. I thought they had closed? The Orig Smokers Haven that was on Bethel just west of the train underpass was a great little shop. I spent many hours loafing there bs'ing with Cliff & Tim & the regulars. I would expect Timba to be expensive since it's in Powell. The Smokers Haven on High is sad.. 1/2 the place sits empty and very dusty. Barclays, Lane Ave or Sawmill are OK with a decent selection. Tinder Box at Easton friendly guys and very helpful a little high but the rent there has to be very high. Uptown Cigar in Westerville is a great place to hang out and smoke the only downside is all cigars and no pipes sold but I have taken my own. (and my own flask) Pipes and Pleasures out in Whitehall has the best select of both cigars and pipes.. both hardware and software and everone is friendly and the 'lounge' is comforable. As mentioned in an earlier post Tobacco Connection in Graceland is the OTC place.. and they have a nice cigar walk-in humi and friendly staff

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I am not positive, but I believe the gentleman who used to own/operate the shop passed away. It is now under new ownership, and has been totally renovated with a larger selection of cigars (enclosed in humidors along the walls), the center of the store is full of wines and hookahs and things with regular pipe stuff on the far left as you enter the store. The cooler has been turned into a "beer cave" and has FAR better selection then it ever has before.

As for pipe stuff, almost all they carry is "drugstore" blends like granger, prince albert, carter hall, captain black, borkum riff, etc. They also have Sutliff Private Stock and CAO blends (only the new aromatics for CAO though, not the Dan Tobacco blends)

I go there all the time because it's convenient if I just need some CB or pipe cleaners or something.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Uptown Cigar is okay, friendly guys (one of the owners is the father of a woman I used to work for) but I have had problems with irregular hours there, going and finding the place closed in the middle of the afternoon. Also, they have a rather particular selection. Good smokes, but an odd selection.

The Tinderbox at Easton also has very friendly and helpful employees, but a horrible selection of pipe related merchandise.

I was just at the Smoker's Haven the other day, and for the past year or so the place has looked pretty barren. The fellow said they've had some trouble financially as well as trouble with suppliers not being able to ship orders. He said over the next handful of months the situation should improve - I hope this isn't just wishful thinking.

I'm aware of Pipes and Pleasures and have heard nothing but good things, but haven't made my way out there yet. A buddy of mine says they'll let you smoke a bowl of any bulk blend on the house to try it out?

Barclay's I haven't heard of. You say there is a Sawmill Rd location? Is it near 161? Because if so maybe I'll need to stop by there on my way to/from the Andersons to get a celebratory bottle of beer when I get my first paycheck from the new job I hope to get tomorrow! The store I work for has been sold and I haven't had any hours for over three weeks. A crummy job is better than no job at all...have an interview for a grocery...obviously even if I get the job I'll keep looking lol

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

ok here's my 1 to 5(best) rating of the OTC's I have found so far.

-5- Prince Albert
    -5- five brothers
    -4- sugar barrel
    -3- Middleton Cherry
    -3- CH
    -2- half and half
    -1- Grander
    -1- Velvet
    -1- Kentucky Club & Conti

still got a few to get to.. any rated 2 or below got trashed.

5. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

rather than trashing the 1's and 2s, you might keep 'em and do a bit of mixing with stuff you like--do it in smaller quantities so you won't have a big mess/loss should it not turn out well--i have salvaged some tobaccos that way--just an idea considering the cost of weed today

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.