1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

OTC Score this afternoon!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ZuluSafari, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CornCobAvery

CornCobAvery Member

The Riff doubles as a flame thrower :crazysmile:

2. nobler son

nobler son Member

I tried Borkum Riff once. I had a nose bleed immediately after. That's not an exaggeration.

3. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i never tried BR but back in the 60s i smoked Flying Dutchman almost exclusively--i was in SE Asia at the time and FD was easier to find than any other blend--??why??go figger--

FD was a good smoke then--it never bit me, altho i think you could force it ti do so--today's FD must most certainly NOT be the same blend i remember--recently i have heard nothing but horror stories about it--

wish i could find the old FD--that was a treat--

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

If I could find a secret stash of FD in the tin, I'd be willing to give it another try.

5. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

In a heartbeat--oh yes

6. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

FD in the tin was a very good experience for me, but after the tin was gone, all I could find was the pouch. I forgot about the burn until this was brought back up - not as scorched as my early days with CBW, but it did have a tendency to bite me. Borkum Riff (ANY variety) wasn't really any hotter to me than the other OTC's I had, but just tasted bad to me. I never could get through the pouches I bought, and remains the only blends I have thrown in the garbage. When I first started researching pipe smoking using the internet (a few years after paying my dues the old fashioned way, lol) there was an incredible amount of bad warnings about the bite from Mac Baren tobys, and pretty much any virginia. I don't have trouble with either, and conclude (by the number of Mac Baren and Virginia lovers here and elsewhere) that these reviews/cautions/stories were written by other inexperienced pipe smokers who had more computer savvy than proper technique.

Hell -- Look at the number of reviews for Half & Half that claim it to be a gift from the devil, too! How did our grandfathers, uncles, parents survive these torture blends that are still so popular today??

I must admit, though, that today's blends aren't the same as they were then -- look at the IRC Three star offerings blended by Altaldis instead of IRC, or all the old Murray blends mixed by new companies. I didn't know A&C Peterson no longer makes Escudo, but is now made by Peter Stokebye! Even the FD ismade by someone else. The tub I had was by a different company than my pouch, and I think Gerry (Falconeer) said it is made by someone else again.

7. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

On the same semi-sidenote to the last points I discussed:

One local shop I frequent never ran out of Dunhill EMP or 965 in bulk over the 2 year drought experienced in the US. When I read on here that there were distributor problems for time, so no Dunhill was imported, I was shocked! Companies even came out with copycat blends (Sutliff No.5, etc.) like for the discontinued HoW blends. I confronted the owner of the store about this when I saw him putting the new 965 tins on the shelf, and he gave me a guilty smile, while stammering a bs answer. I didn't buy any of the bulk Dunhills from him, but I wonder how many regulars who don't have internet experience continued to buy his copy cats at the Dunhill price!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.