1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

OTC Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TxPipesmoker, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Am I the only one that can taste the foul chemical taste( I can even smell it in most of them) to these OTC blends. I have tried all of them. I'm not knocking anyones tobacco choice by anymeans. I see so many people here smoke it. I smoked Marlboro for 18 years 2-3 packs a day. and they slowly got more chemical like as the years went by. It got so bad that ( for me) I stopped smoking. Now that i think about it I havent tried any of the Kentucky Clubs. I never see them anywhere though. Does anyone have any input on the Kentucky Club.

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

I don't get the chem taste in CH or PA Cherry Vanilla or SWR, but I did not care for SWR ARO that much. I tried KY Club Mild and found it HARSH and ciggy tasting, I was very dissapointed I expected to like it:( Sugar Barrel was pretty good I thought. PA was a little stronger than I cared for. I can't get enough of CH.

3. TxPipesmoker

Funny
    Maybe its just me and my taster....

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I guess it's all up to individual taste, but of the OTC's I like CH the best.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Sadly we don't have too many OTC's nowadays, but fortunately they are pretty good, and don't seem to have 'chemical' issues.....quality - not quantity - over here:th1:
    OT

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I suspect that chemical taste is the glycol that many of the American blending houses add to their tobacco. Carter Hall & Sir Walter Raleigh don't seem to have it as badly as most others. I've never tried Kentucky Club so I can't help you there.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I honestly cant think of many OTC w/ an abundance of PG . I know the super value stuff in the 12 oz bags are wet w/ it , and the like .CB has a good amount of PG I guess .. maybe Velvet [ Lord knows I hate that stuff ] . When you smoke a wet aro and get a film thing on the top of yer throat ... thats PG big time .. . but PA , PA Soft Vanilla , PA Cherry Vanilla ,SWR , SWR Aro, Middletons Cherry Blend , Grainger , Half and Half , Carter hall , the Three Kentucky clubs , Walnut , Sugar Barrel , Hickory [ if its still around ] ... none of those are even damp , really . I'm thinking that the quality of the burley in some isnt as refined as say Wessex Burley Flake [ which is off the map ] . As an example , I like PA but I taste a " metallic " thing in it .. just slightly ... so thats why I'm an SWR dude . Albeit , SWR adds a little touch of sweet to it but it dosent bother me and it dissappers quickly . Other than C&D , which uses only distilled water [ and you can tell cause often times its dry as a brick ] dont kid yer self if ya think the ' better " makers dont use a humicant as well ....[ maybe not as much as super value brand ..no doubt] Which is why their stuff isnt dry like C&D . GLP eluded to this as well [ for you guys that wont belive something I say ] . As far as a chemical taste .. I dont know ... is the little bit of cherry flavor in Middletons cherry blend derived from " real cherries " ... probaby not . The lane products and if I remember the wine berry from middletons have the PG thing goin on . But the otc I listed above seem to be pretty straight to me .. probably enough PG from keeping it from turning to dust . I have a mjor head cold [ started about noon ] so excuse my ramble :)

8. TxPipesmoker

nono your very informant.. Ive been on a Scotch bender all day. My kids have been at their cousins today.. I want to order something like Sugar B.. or Kentucky Club but for the price I find it I can order a lb of what I have been smoking.

9. TxPipesmoker

Sorry about the italics.

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

What brands specifically give you the funky taste?

11. TxPipesmoker

All of the CB I got something from Carter Hall almost like a sour taste and a nasty aftertaste and The Prince A was to much like a cig.. for me. I was just trying them out.

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Kentucky Club Mild is fairly dry to the touch(in my experience...may just be old stock I received, though). Tastes a bit like H&H, but more tobacco-y(burley forward). Of course, this could translate to 'cigarettelike' with some folks, I reckon.

13. TxPipesmoker

I was just trying something dif. I will stick with what I smoke already. Thanks Guys

14. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

PA doesn't taste much like cigarettes to me. It's definitely a more "natural" flavor, but I really like it. I'm also a proud lover of CBW. It's my daily smoke, I asked my fiance for a 12oz tub for my 30th birthday coming up.

To each his own though, if we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke....

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  15. TxPipesmoker

I like the MacBaren 7seas have you tried those. Just like CB but it does not have the taste im trying to describe with failure

16. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

The only Mac Baren I've smoked is Vanilla Creme. There is a tobacconist/liquor store in my hometown that has a nice variety of Toby though. I'll keep 7seas on my list. Thanks for the suggestion :toast:

17. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I can't do the OTCs either, and certainly no offense to anyone who does like them. They are all just highly processed, with PG, and other chemicals. Except in very high concentrations, PG is said to be odorless, and tasteless. I hate the sticky goop it leaves on the pipe rim. I know first hand a PG humidifier in a cigar humidor, will leave a similar coating all over the inside of it in a few years. Just too many good tobaccos less highly processed for my tastes.

18. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have some KY Club, if you want to try some

19. TxPipesmoker

Sure.... Send it to the return addy on your package from the TOLO thread

20. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I agree that it's the PG (just speculating, though).

When I can leave a tub of Walnut, Granger, CH, PA, Sugar Barrel, etc etc open for a year and it doesn't dry out, I have to conclude that it's full of PG. I personally don't taste it but you probably are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.