OTC Tubs

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

My cellar is coming along nicely, so now I'm getting ready to focus on the codger wing. I have some Walnut that I jarred a while back, but I'm not sure that there is any logic to that since it already comes in tubs. In the past, after I opened a tub I would transfer it to a bale-top jar... but I'm not even sure if that really serves a purpose.

So, the question is this: How long will an OTC stay good in the original tub after you've broken the seal? Granted, the tub itself is a cheap affair, but the labels are often very interesting and I think they'd look nice sitting out on the shelf. But will the tobacco turn too stale if I do that?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

A looooong time. It's a total design package that has stood the test of time.......literally!

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I agree that the tubs have a very long shelf life if they are kept sealed. Long before there were even rumors about tax increases, etc., I was stocking up on the Middleton blends (they were what I smoked most at the time).
    Since I don't believe that they "improve with age", I open the oldest one first when I need to refill the jar I load my pipe from. I did that with a tub of Carter Hall last month and it was just fine (no re-hydration needed).
    I can't say for sure how old this tub was, but, the price sticker on it was for $7.50. That must have been a few years ago.
    As long as the seal is intact (I give a "shake" test to see if the stock sounds okay) I don't worry about losing any of what is stored in tubs.
    Dan

4. RTOdhner

But after you break the seal? Is transferring it to jars actually neccessary, or will it last a couple of months in the tub as you smoke on it?

5. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I would honestly say it's going to last more than a couple of months. I have a pouch of CH that I opened at the first of April and it is as moist as it was the day I opened it. This CH pouch is like a canary in the cage

6. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I have a tub of Carter Hall that is in the original packaging that was opened about 5 years ago.

It's still fine.

7. TxPipesmoker

See what I mean. I do belive this Carter Hall may be like the piece of Velveeta cheese my wife found under my son's bed. We have not bought that kind of cheese in well over a year, and it looked good as new.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I have open tubs of Walnut, Granger, SWR and Sugar Barrel that have been opened almost 2 years. No noticeable difference from new.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've got a tub of PA that's been open over 3 years. It's got a couple pouches of 5 Bros. mixed in there now as well. Is perfectly good.

10. TxPipesmoker

3 years. Thats PG in action for you.

11. RTOdhner

Good deal. My cellar consists primarily of MacB and PS bulk, and I've pretty much got those to a comfortable level - I'm primarily focusing on building up the flake inventory at this point. There are many more I'd like to get, but in all honesty I enjoy good old classics like Walnut, Middelton's Cherry, SWR, SRWA, CH, PA, PA Soft Vanilla, Kentucky Club Continental, and Granger just about as much as the MacB and PS offerings. I can't count on these beloved classics always being around, so I might as well start picking these up while I still can.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I pop a tub of Middletons Cherry Blend and at some point [ no rush ] I toss in just one of these .. http://wvsmokeshop.com/tobaccomoistners.aspx .... I've never had it get to dry . I think they'll last a good while w/ out anything in them unless the room ya got them in is very dry maybe . The good thing about a tub is , when you go to grab some out , you can feel where it's at ... if it's feeling a little dry .... then drop in one of the little discs and yer good to go , scurvey . Ah man , youve got KC Continental ? I havent had it in years ... they dont have it here . Cool

13. RTOdhner

I don't have it yet, but I will. Go on line and check out Mars Cigars. Go to their pipe tobacco section and click on "Traditional/Miscellaneous." They have a huge selection of OTC's (including Sail in pouch or can, Edward G. Robinson, Cherry Blend, Sugar Barrel, and Spilman Mixture). Click on Kentucky Club, and you will see they sell three varieties - the regular cube cut version - Kentucky Club Mild, Kentucky Club Continental, and Kentucky Club Aromatic.... we're talking codger heaven bay-bee! Prices are pretty good, too.

14. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Ah, CH, the "Twinkie" of pipe tobacco... I do love that stuff!:beck:

RTOdhner likes this.
  15. CoreyK

CoreyK Member

So, I know this is about OTC tubs, but what about the pouches? I know Tx said that his velveta tobacco (ch) has been moist since april, but I'm just wondering how long you guys feel it is ok to have an open otc pouch laying around? Id assume pretty long since there is no real seal on it and that when you fold it back up, its essentially like it was from factory, and the tobacco is meant to sit on shelves for quite a bit of time, right? :cfsd:

16. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I have a pouch of CH, and CBW that are a couple of months old, both are as good as when first opened .... actually the CBW is better than new since it isn't as goopy as it was when first opened.

CoreyK likes this.
  17. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I've got a tub each of PA & CH that have been open a year now and seem just as good as they were the day I pulled off the plastic wrap.

Bri2k

18. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

my pouches of CBW never last longer than two or three weeks since I smoke it almost every day, but they are better after they dry out just a hair. I think a pouch would be fine for a month or two, but you'd be pushing it after that.

19. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Could also be the 98% humidity we've having. Ugh! It may finally be cooler, but I can't stand this humidity. We opened up an aro to try to dry it out and it just got wetter. lol. :)

However, you've got some awesome tobac jars that absolutely rock as well!!

RTOdhner and Mark w4mms like this.
  20. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, not hard to rehydrate dry tobacco in this weather for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.