1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

OUCH!!!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Oh well, I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. I just received this rather nice looking little meer, only to discover that someone, somewhere along the line had used a spot of hot melt glue to cover a hole in the bottom of the bowl. It looks as if someone has been severely over enthusiatic with a pipe cleaner, probably while the pipe was hot and damp. If you look into the bowl there's a deepish groove running from the bore right across the bowl floor and part way up the opposite side, just breaking through the surface in an area about 3/32" round.
    For me, there's no financial loss involved, the vendor gave me an immediate refund and said they didn't want the pipe back. Now I have a pretty little meer that, in it's current state is pretty much junk. Hating to let it go without putting up some sort of fight to salvage things, I wondered if anyone knew of a way to replace the missing meer and make it smokeable again? I know it won't colour properly, but that isn't my prime concern. Is there a type of filler that could be used, or is it even possible to grind meer into a plaster of paris type material and use that as a filler? I have a fairly unpleasant little meer without a stem (already donated to my current favourite pipe) that could be pressed into service as a donor, if you think it will work.
    If nothing else, this serves as an object lesson in why not to clean a meer while it's still warm and moist.

2. cardboardphone

cardboardphone Member

Curious to see if Pipe Mud would be up for the challenge.

3. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

I did consider that as a possibility, but don't smoke cigars often enough to get enough ash. Does it have to be cigar ash, and why? Pipe ash, or cigarette ash would be no problem.

Pete

4. cardboardphone

cardboardphone Member

I have read some people using pipe ash, but they make sure it is completely burnt and dottle free. Some of the the guys recommend sifting it to make sure it is the finest ash possible.

5. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Okay, as far as I'm concerned, repairs to the inside of this pipe are complete. At the very least, complete enough to make it a rather nice smoking little pipe. Okay, they will probably prevent it colouring properly, but I can live with that.
    I gave various ideas a bit of thought, and then suddendly the idea of using fire cement occured to me. If it works for firebricks, the chances are it will be okay in the bottom of a pipe if treated as a substitute for pipe mud.
    A pipecleaner was placed into the bore, to avoid filling that and a small dollop of cement worked into the bottom of the bowl with my fingertip and smoothed out with a bit of spittle. This filled the hole in the bowl bottom and the enormous groove caused by the cleaning process in the pipes' dim and distant past. Light a fire to cure the cement, the instructions said. So, the pipe was lightly filled with tobacco and fired up. After two smokes the cement seems nice and firm and, because I used beige cement, it even looks like it should do inside the bowl. Just the tiny area on the outside now requires colour matching to the rest of the pipe. If that last seems a bit anal, blame it on my model making history, I like things to look right, as well as work correctly.

Anyway, here's the pipe, and a view inside the bowl. A pity about the gouged rim, but I may do something about that at a later date - after the fire cement idea is fully proven by further smoking of the pipe.

Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

What kind of fire cement? Nice looking pipe. -David

7. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

shadow likes this.
  8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi, Pete!
    That sounds excellent stuff!
    I might actually use it for my cobs! I reamed out one of them the other day, and I think I was a bit rough on the fella and poked a bit of a hole through the bottom, luckily not all the way through though!
    This should fix it, no doubt!!!:)

9. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Shadow,
    Glad it's been of some help. There's an awful lot of repairs in a 1/2 kilo tub, I used just a tiny blob for mine. Even paying the £3-50 for the cement, it's still a cheap pipe - and I do like cheap.

Pete

shadow likes this.
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Thanks, Pete!
    The cement might come in handy for other applications as well, and I'm planning to get more cobs. I then might even drill out the protruding shank bit and fill the bottom with this cement.:)

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

12. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Sounds much the same sort of stuff. Can't recall how 2000F, compares with 1250C.

Pete

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

125o Celsius equals 2282 Fahrenheit so it should be good.
    If I remember correctly tobacco only goes up to 450 Celsius / 842 Fahrenheit when it's smoked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.