1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Overreamed...What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Ok, so it turns out the "ream" wasn't quite as terrible as I'd said -- the walls are still decently thick. That said, the walls are likely thicker than what's left of the bottom of the bowl. The whole pipe was also shellaced or varnished rather poorly, with lots of tiny beads all over. Somebody I may tackle this and see if there are any good smokes left in it. For now, it sits in a box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Codger and Stonewall like this.
  2. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Chamber size can greatly effect or determine the type of blends that will burn in the pipe for most flavor.Russ writes a very good article on pipe sizes and shapes,chamber diameter on pipes and cigars.It's a great read for anyone collecting.

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Hey Armedoctupus....take a look at your bulldog when you get it back and you can see a prime example of overreamed. Not to the point that it should be put down, but certainly visible.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Boy, you didn't over exaggerate any of that. It's a gorgeous pipe, and sickening that the bowl is in such bad shape.

Stonewall likes this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I was going to return it to the seller (who really didn't know about the damage) but they declined and said to do whatever with it. It's not in any condition to smoke. I thought I may find someone who has one from this line in need of a stem or band. That's all you can salvage from this pipe. The wall of the bowl was reamed back so far its completely off-set of the draught hole. And you can see it's from burn out. The owner was I'm sure, and without a doubt, a veteran smoker, so here we go again on quality issues concerning Peterson. Because I own several pipes (including vintage Pete's) from his collection, and this is the only one with this extent of damage.

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Brad, I've never seen one worse in regard to over-reaming. But I've got another with a near burn out in the exact same area. And its a newer Pete as well.

7. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

That could be a good pipe on which to experiment with pipe cement: how thick you can build it up, how well it sticks, etc. I have the first Wally Frank that I bought in the early 80's that burned out in one area. (Surprisingly, it was right where the big fill is on the outside of the pipe :msty:) One of these days I'm going to mud the walls of that pipe to learn how to use pipe cement. It will be no loss if it doesn't work or I ruin the pipe with my clumsy attempts.

8. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Man, those pipes are thrashed!

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Thrashed, and ruined. I still cannot get over the paper thin bowl at the back side. I said it before, and will repeat it---thats a damn shame to ruin a pipe like that.:thdn::doh:

10. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I feel sick to my stomach after looking at those. No joke. :(

11. 421eme

421eme Member

:puke:Yikes! We used to have a term, in my military trade, for people who have no concept of what they were doing - HACK!

Whoever reamed this pipe to death is definitely a HACK!

Cheers, Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.