1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

PAD blowout

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Sasquatch, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Well.... the Sasquatch has been one busy boy since about.... I don't even know. Lots of long hours for a few months. Long and the short of it is that I haven't been able to make as many pipes as I'd like, and that sucks, but the good news is that there's a tiny bit of cash in my pockets for a change.

But who needs cash? I bought a time machine, and picked up a couple pipes from the sixties -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big freehand is a Zettervig. Haven't heard of him? Me either. Sounds like he was a sort of failed/redirected high-grade Danish pipe type, and his early stuff is supposed to be pretty good. So... I got one. Why not, man?? Hopefully it's good, certainly it's fun and interesting.

Second pipe is a Dunhill, 1969 shell. I just liked it, hopefully it's good. And hopefully my wife believes my story about a hacker taking over her eBay account.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

I love the lines on that Dunhill, beautiful pipe.

3. John Long

John Long Member

Damn...The first pipe is way nice. Love the glass finish on the stems.

4. Capt

Capt Active Member

Love the Dunhill!

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Good thing Preben never got ahold of that first one, he would have sand-blasted the hell out of it (and I can say that, I have one of his... lol).

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Let me know if that "Hacker" story works. :ngty:

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  7. Hudson

Hudson Member

Uh-oh. Here I was thinking that if I could learn how to make a pipe then I wouldn't feel the need to own all those other people's pipes; but apparently it doesn't work that way. Seems that PAD cannot be innoculated against. To resist is futile.

Nice freehand; they always look so big in photos. Is that the original finish around the bowl and stem? As a pipemaker, if you had a vintage pipe of substantial provenance that was abused and neglected, would you feel the need to restore it, renovate it or leave it alone?

8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

The Zettervig is a beautiful looking pipe. Congrats on the acquisitions.

9. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Wow, man, those are beautiful!

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I actually got into pipe making somewhat to alleviate PAD, and it has done, in some fairly significant ways. Now, add up the 1000 bucks for a lathe, couple hunny on tooling and chucks, a compressor, sandblasting cabinet.... throw away some briar.... you can see just how much money I've saved! LOL But it keeps me outta the wife's hair.

Pipes that were abused/neglected need attention. To me, the provenance/historical value of the piece is who made it and when, and not what idiot subsequently choked off the airway by never using a pipe cleaner. So I'm of the "clean it up and make it like it should be" camp.

Renovations occur if a pipe is not performing and I want to keep it, otherwise I just give it away or sell it. My standards are now pretty silly, like a pipe has to offer me a perfect experience or it gets put far down the list or sold on to someone who will hopefully enjoy it differently than I was able to. This Dunhill looks to be an exceptionally well executed pipe to me, and I want to compare the workmanship to my own crafting, see where I'm at (see where Dunhill could improve, right? :beck: ).

Hudson, NoRm and Old Codger like this.
  11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Those are really nice looking pipes, the Dunhill looks well taken care of and the Zettervig is very interesting.

12. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Both gorgeous pipes! I'm so-so on freehand and that's quite lovely.

13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Great freehand, Sas! Never heard of the guy, which makes the piece even more intriguing.
    Hope it smokes as good as it looks.

Really like the stem work....:whis:

14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Congrats in those beauties!

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah yeah. I get the hint already. :)

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Those are both great pipes. Let us know if the Dunhill is not "performing" and you decide to "give" it away....:D

Ted Vig and Spillproof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.