Paladin (smoking it, and living to tell the story)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

About half an hour ago I bought a pouch of Paladin on a whim, since I had yet to try it. I know it gets a wrap for being possibly the most vile incarnate of pipe tobacco ever conceived. In fact, I'm wondering if the pouch I bought was previously blessed by a procession of priests or something.

I just got done smoking it about 10 min ago, and I've lived to tell the story. I somehow managed not to get tongue bite, although the cob I smoked it in is clearly and irrevocably ghosted. The cherry smell does hit you over the head like a 2x4.

I can't say too much as to the flavor of it. I'm in the midst of kicking a cold, and my palette is a bit fried at the moment. I figured I'd give it a try now, anticipating the bite, so that I wouldn't fry my palette with it when I didn't have a cold.

All in all, I'm interested to give it a fair trial once the cold has passed. It does seem to smell good though.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I work with two guys who only smoke Paladin. I have had them try different blends I like only to to have them tell me how nasty (and expensive) they are. Takes all kinds.

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Paladin is the only blend I've ever smoked that was worse than Captain Black. I suspect the stuff is made from recycled urinal cakes.:confused:

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Never smoked Paladin, and to hear you guys talk about it, I'm glad I've never tried it!:beck:

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Once everty ten years I will get a pouch of Paladin because I can't believe it is as horrible as I remember. It is always even worse than I remember. I really want to like the stuff. The burgundy pouch with gold trim and a chess knight piece is alluring. The pouch smell is fantastic and the room note is fragrant. However, it bites like a rabid ferret and leaves sticky black goop in my pipes. It tastes awful and it ghosts pipes almost as badly as Mix 79. I can't understand how anyone could voluntarily smoke the stuff. but I suppose it is a case of "different strokes for different folks".

Kiowapipe likes this.
  6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

It's only been 10 minutes, give it a little more time.:ngty:

I bought some a while back, and haven't had the courage, yet!

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

You might be right on the urinal cakes. On the two times I tried to smoke the stuff it bit the crap out of my tongue and made my eyes burn

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Love the room note but don't like smoking it at all. Tastes like soap to me. But I grew up with a family friend that just smoked it and it is the tobacco that got me started so many years ago smoking the pipe.

9. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

What does "ghosts pipes" mean?

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Ghosting is when the flavoring in a blend smoked in the pipe remains behind in the pipe and when smoking another blend tou can taste it. Very common in some aros and latakia blends.

11. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I guess it goes away after a while though? Like after you've smoked something else a few times?

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how long the while might be. I have a cob that I smoked some St. Bruno in, and the Lakeland essence (a "ghost" in the form of a soapy type of flavor) is still there, despite the five or six bowls of other stuff I've since run through it.

13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

In most cases the taint gradually recedes but some aros such as Mixture #79 can be really persistant. In those cases the pipe has to be givien the "alcohol treatment" which means the stem is removed, the shank plugged, the chamber filled with 180 proof pure grain alcohol (sometimes called everclear) & cotton or salt and left to soak for a day. I've had to do it for a few of my pipes but, in the future, I'll avoid using blends that can ghost my pipes unless I use a cheap cob.

14. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

There are a few tobaccos that will rid a pipe of ghosts quickly. I use and keep around Five brothers for this purpose. One bowl of this and the ghost is gone. I enjoy it anyway. But for the most part, goopy aros will ghost for quite awhile while others won't.

15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If I survived Mixture 79, you can survive Paladins! ;)

16. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Paladin was the first blend I smoked and I haven't had it since..and that was the early 1980's.

17. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Some ghosts never seem to go away. I have a pipe dedicated to English blends, and after hundreds of smokes and 4 or 5 S/A treatments, it still ghosts lakelands at the end of the bowl. I'm not sure if the ghost is somewhere in the bowl, shank, or I suspect most likely in the stem, but I've gotten used to it.

18. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Paladin ghosted my toilet bowl after repeated flushings.

HCraven and Rewster66 like this.
  19. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

My cold broke enough for me to smell and taste a little bit today. I get the whole urinal cake thing now. Still not biting though. I have serious doubts I'll smoke the whole pouch.

20. in8angst

in8angst Member

I have only smoked Paladin many moons ago, say, like mid-sixties when I first picked up a pipe. Your comments brought back sharp memories of that "soap" taste and after-taste! To each his own, I guess. I don't drink bottle beer in green bottles, either. All leave that nasty skunk piss taste with me.

in8angst

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.