Paris?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ATXPipe, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Anybody have any advice on locating a good pipe shop in Paris? I've been googling but haven't really come up with anything other than a very famous cigar shop near the Louvre.

Anybody been lately & wanna' recommend a good pipe shop? Um...I leave tomorrow. Yeah, I know, right?

Thanks!

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Researched a bit....

There is one in Palais Royale.

3. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Man, I don't know any shops, but I'm jealous of your trip. Any particular reason for going, or is it just for vacation? In any case, passez du bon temps! La France est très jolie ce temps de l'année.

4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I think the place you're talking about near the Louvre is A La Civette. I was there in June. It has a pretty decent selection of pipes and tobacco - best place I found for sure. Tobacco prices range from reasonable to not really worth buying. Cigar prices are not outrageous (for Europe) if that's your thing, although expect to still pay a fair amount for a Cuban. I bought some Bergerac tobacco from the pipe tobacco selection. They had three types of traditional French "Brune" tobacco. It's pretty cheap (I paid around 7 euros for 50 grams) but the cut is like RYO tobacco and as a result it burns fast. The taste is interesting but mine was dry so needed rehydrating. Might be worth a try though. They also sell three different Planta Image tobaccos that looked interesting - wish I'd bought a pack of the Perique blend.

Tobacco prices across France are standardised so no need to hunt around looking for the best prices. The price in one place is the price it will be in every other Tabac in France. Keep your eyes peeled for the red diamond-shaped TABAC sign. Most of these places stock a small selection of pipe tobaccos - fairly standard Mac Baren, Amphora Red etc, but you may find something that tickles your fancy, although it would almost certainly be cheaper in the US.

Dondi and Rodfather like this.
  5. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I visited La Civette today. Nice pipe selection, decent tobacco selection. What struck me the most was the availability of Kentucky Club in a pouch! I didn't buy any because I can get dry tobacco back home, but how strange is it that the only American OTC's I saw here were half&half and Kentucky Club!

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Seems like Buistd is steerin ya right ... if not for that I'd say ... follow your nose :bing:

7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Glad you made it there. Half and Half is also available in other European countries - I know they sell it in the Netherlands. Bluepipe gets Prince Albert in Cyprus. No Carter Hall anywhere though as far as I can tell.

Incidentally I remembered a good website that lists good smoking supply places in France. Follow the link and scroll down to the "75" heading (75 is the department number of Paris):

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/bonnesadressesFrance.htm

Seems there are a lot of places. When I was in Paris in June I tried to find one of the places listed but it didn't seem to exist (or it was hidden somewhere in the Louvre). The first one on the list looks interesting:

"No tobacco, but pipes, more pipes and still more pipes in an unbelievably disordered and dusty display. It does however have an unmissable shop sign. The only shop in Paris where you can find Don Carlos, along with ladies pipes, antiques: meerschaum, tobacco jars, etc. and the only place in Paris that sells estate pipes."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.