1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Parker Bulldog heading off to resoration

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by NBPipe, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Since a Dunhill is not an option at the moment, I found this 1960s? Parker that I assume was a Dunhill make. So, it's sort of a Dunhill. :whis:

Not sure if any of you caught it on eBay but, I got it for $45 bucks. I have to say, when it arrived, it looked and felt much better than the pics showed. The stem is nice & tight and the briar is really quite nice.

I'll be sending it off to Walker Briar Works for Dave to work his magic. Last time I didn't include "before" pics so I'm making sure I do this time for the pipe peeps here on PSF.

Lastly, if anyone has any info on this pipe please feel free to share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

That pipe has a lot of potential. After Dave works his magic on it you wouldn't trade it for a Dunhill. Post pics of the results.

3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Dave does an excellent job, I can't wait to see the 'after' pics.

Lestrade likes this.
  4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have the mate (nearly) to that one...a Parker bent dog. It's marked "Parker of London"..."Jockey Club"...and "109". I think it's a slightly lower grade...grain is more washed than yours...but still a great smoker. Congrats....nice pipe!

shadow likes this.
  5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Looking forward to after pics. Congrats on the pipe!

6. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Thanks, all. I will definitely post "after" pics. As Arkie says, I probably wouldn't trade it for a "real" Dunhill. It does have potential. I bought it knowing there was the possibility it was a train wreck. Especially with the char and oxidation. Something tells me this may be a winner. I'll keep you posted. The bad news is Dave is heading for vacation so it may be a long wait :)

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Although often being refered to (somewhat unkindly) as 'Dunhill rejects', old Parkers are fine pipes - I have several, the oldest dating from 1936. The last one - a sixties 'Briar Bark', was bought on UK Ebay for £8, and similar examples can often be had for around 8 to 15 UK pounds. Your price of $45 (£28?) was IMO a little high, but when renovated will be a good smoker - enjoy:th1:
    OT

shadow likes this.
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Nice one!! I have a Parker and it's one of my favorite pipes...

9. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

As a third generation Hardcastle smoker I'm a fan of the Dunhill "seconds". Usually they were seconded for cosmetic reasons but some I own show no imperfections and are very well made. I have a Parker rusticated Dublin that is as good as any Dunhill.

10. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

I agree. I did probably overpay. My thought was that the old school shape & quality combined with Dave Wolf's tremendous restoration skills will keep me around $75 in total. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for older, traditional English pipes :bing:

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I was in no way belittleing your purchase NB, for, I'm sure that at the end of the day - around $75 would not get you a new pipe of comparable quality, and pleasure of use.
    OT

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's a nice Parker you have!
    I've got exactly the same model but it's the Jockey Club version, shape #73.
    It's a fantastic smoker, especially for Flakes! I'm sure you'll enjoy yours once you get it back from restoration!

[​IMG]

By the way: The white spot is not original, of course! Since the Parker P has nearly vanished I decided to add the spot myself.:bing:

13. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Very clever of you to add the white spot! I like it.

14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1

15. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

+2 Lestrade

16. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

I got my Parker Bulldog back from Walker Briarworks and I think it looks rather keen for an oldie but goodie. The vulcanite mouthpiece, including the Parker <P> looks a lot cleaner but, I got my mitts all over it and smudged it up :shead:

Dave tells me it's from the 1950's and quite a solid specimen :th1:

Total investment = $76.00 including restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

That is a gorgeous briar pipe right there. Congrats NBPipe, hope you enjoy her for years to come!

What are you smoking in her for your maiden voyage together?

18. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Great question, Les...

I don't know??? I've never had a bulldog so I'm not sure if it lends itself to any kind or cut of baccy??? Any suggestions????

19. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

gorgeous pipe, I keep gettin outbid on Parkers

20. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Dave the "magic man" did a wonderful restoration on your pipe. I was glad to see the before and after photos. Dave has worked his craft on several of my pipes.

Mike Pomery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.