Patience, self control, and Squadron Leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KN092011, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I went to my B&M today and as I pulled into the parking lot I told myself that I was only there for a cob and some pipe cleaners. I walked in the store, and much to my dismay, the clerk was busy helping someone else. This means I'm going to have to kill some time while I wait on her to finish by perusing the store. I tried to stick to the pipe section cause I'm a lot less likely to buy a pipe than some tobacco or some other accessory.

Needless to say, it didn't work. I looked up and saw a tin of squadron leader sitting on the shelf. I've been wanting to try this for a little bit but I told myself I had to finish my other blends first (I don't really cellar or stock up, not my style). Well I couldn't talk myself out of it so I ended up buying it (it was the last one they had so I couldn't leave it there all by itself). On the drive home I told myself that I couldn't open it until I finished my other blends. So I got home and set it down on the workbench and started working on finishing my rusticated cob project (I also found some Fiebings leather dye while I was out). It took every bit of about ten minutes and the tin was open and I was loading a bowl.

That being said, I am VERY happy I opened it! This stuff is good. The tin was a little on the moist side but it's smoking quite nicely! My Frog Morton's have a new challenger for my favorite blend! Although, now it occurs to me that I shouldn't jump to conclusion about my favorite. I'm sure I will see someone else talking about another blend soon enough that will make me want to try it, and once I do I will probably love it too.

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Your willpower is alot like mine... none, lol. Add in mad rationalization skills, and we can buy anything and not feel bad about it.:bing:

YAPPG, Robin, dBear and 1 other person like this.
  3. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Until the wife finds out abut it...then I feel bad, or more accurately, then I hurt!

YAPPG, Robin, dBear and 1 other person like this.
  4. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

SL is good stuff. I might have to pop a jar in the near future...

YAPPG, Robin, Mington and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tate

Tate Member

I do find a lot of SG tobacco comes a bit too wet. Let that SL dry out a tad and you'll have an even nicer smoke! I smoke a lot of 1792 and FVF and both of those come too wet. I will either lay out some tobacco the night before or pack a few pipes and just let them sit on the rack. Whenever I get back to them they're great. I live in average 85% relative humidity so your mileage might vary.

ruffinogold, YAPPG, Robin and 4 others like this.
  6. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

As long as you don't rationalize spending the mortgage/rent money, you'll be ok. :)

ruffinogold, YAPPG, Robin and 3 others like this.
  7. Springer

Springer Member

I totally agree with Tate. SL is practically dripping wet from the tin. I fluff mine up and leave the tin open for at least a half hour. Drastic improvement in the burn and more importantly, the flavor!

I was disappointed my first smoke with it. Didn't dry it in the least. After drying it a bit it is wonderful.

I also find a lot of the Dunhill tins too moist. And heck, Presbyterian too. Seems like most of them are these days. But SL to me is the worst of the lot.

YAPPG and Robin like this.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I can resist anything but temptation and goodness knows SL can be tempting.

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Yeah, most blenders sell their tobaccos with a lot of moisture content, and that includes smaller blenders like Pipeworks & Wilke. I believe the mentality is that it's better to let the customer pick his own moisture level, as many people have different moisture preferences. Better too wet than too dry.

I agree though, Gawith is the company that sells the wettest tobacco by far. I always dry mine out, more with some blends than with others. FVF needs to be dryer than something like SL. English blends can lose some flavor if you dry them out too much, IMO.

Squadron Leader is a great mild English, so enjoy!

YAPPG and Stonewall like this.
  10. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I was a little leery of just leaving it out for a while, mostly because I store my current tobaccos in my workshop and I have a bit of an ant problem. So I put it in a plastic tub and just leave the tub open each time I smoke a bowl. It's probably taking a lot longer than it should to dry this way (our humidity level averages between 60-80%) but I can keep a closer eye on it as it dries and either keep bugs from getting in or letting it over dry.

I had a tin of EMP not too long ago that I did the same thing with. Once it got pretty close I put it in a pouch (I only smoke one tobacco at a time) and by the time I finished it, it was just a touch past perfect. Overall this process worked well for me though. I will agree, the SL is much more moist than the EMP was.

YAPPG likes this.
  11. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Or is it so that they can sell you water instead of tobacco? I believe the total weight of water in tobacco is allowed to be up around 25-30%. Makes good sense to me for companies to get as much water in as possible. Cynical? Possibly.

psquared and YAPPG like this.
  12. Whitespot

Whitespot Active Member

I definitely notice a distinguishable difference in the moisture content of SG tobaccos. I'm working on a tin of Best Brown right now, and it's a great morning smoke for me. So now I fill a bowl the night before and char it. Huge difference!

YAPPG likes this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

If you like Squadron Leader, give Skiff a whirl too next time you're browsing tins.

ruffinogold and Arkie like this.
  14. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Here be ENABLERS, proceed with caution. :haha:

15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Cynical, but not necessarily wrong. I don't know though. You may very well be right, but I do prefer to be able to control the moisture level myself. Now, when it comes to Samuel Gawith, I sometimes wonder if they aren't just dunking their flakes in water and slopping them into the tin, but I continue to buy a couple of their products because no one makes a better version.

16. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

A few months ago I called P&C because the bulk H&H blends I got were a little dry for my preference and I wanted to check that was the way they meant them to be shipped. It was a nice treat when Russ himself answered the phone, and in essence he said that very thing -- well, the reverse. He said they would rather the customer get the full value of tobacco instead of paying for water, or some words to that effect (this isn't a quote). Never have to spend any time drying these blends (although sometimes I do add a "button" to the active container, or exhale a few times in the bowl to raise the moisture level a little more to my liking).

17. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

P&C and C&D definitely don't skimp on their baccy. I have 2 buttons in my tub of Angler's Dream ( a blend you enablers turned me on to), and that was a very gracious 14 oz. better to have baccy come a little dry and add a little moisture if deemed necessary.

18. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I've never tried smoking ants.:xd:

19. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

SL is my first bowl on the weekends. It's a nice refreshing break from the VaPers I smoke on the weekdays. Sorta cleanses my palate. I'll pull a bowlful from the jar and let it sit on my drying plate while I have my first cup of coffee. By the time I'm ready for my second cup, it's good to go. I always keep a couple of tins of this fine English in my cellar.

[​IMG]

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. TWolf

TWolf Member

I've heard of Squadron Leader. What are the other two things you mention in the title of the thread? What brand are they? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.