1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Paul's Cayuga: Paul T. Spaniola

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by JakartaBoy, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakartaBoy

JakartaBoy Member

I've been keeping an eye out on ebay for cheap (under $30) estate pipes made by American artisan pipe makers, particularly in the fifties and sixties. It's not quite logical, I just like the idea of pipes made by small operations rather than under big brand names. Maybe I'm just looking for bargains, hoping that pipes with names on them that don't ring big bells might be good value for money.

I just bought a Paul's Cayuga estate for eight bucks -- the photo is lousy, the description poor, so it's a bit of a chance, described as "great used condition". We'll see.

But I did a bit of googling to find out about the maker. I came up with a few interesting links and articles. I'll post them here, just in case anyone's interested. I've seen Old Ted praise Cayuga pipes before, so there might be at least one person!

[​IMG]

Paul T. Spaniola of Swartz Creek, owner of Paul's Pipe Shop in downtown Flint, placed second in a world pipe-smoking event.

[​IMG]

Paul T. Spaniola 6-Time World Champion Pipe Smoker

Probably a few years earlier.

From this article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2008/10/paul_spaniola_owner_of_pauls_p.html

There is another long interview with him here:
    http://www.eastvillagemagazine.org/features/13903-village-life-pipe-saved-his-life-.html

"The pipe saved my life."

So begins Paul Spaniola, legendary owner of Paul's Pipe Shop, 647 S. Saginaw St. He has just turned 95, and though he sometimes struggles to find the right word and complains that his brain doesn't work as well as it used to, his eyes are bright and his zest for telling stories of his life as a fiercely persistent downtown businessman is fresh and undiluted. Political correctness doesn't deter him — he knows what he knows.

Anyone know anything about these pipes or the shop? Old Ted?

Kiowapipe likes this.
  2. JakartaBoy

JakartaBoy Member

This is what I mean by "lousy photo". This was the only description:

This is a Paul's Cayuga pipe.
    It is oil cured.
    Hand made imported briar.
    It is in great used condition.
    It measures 4 3/4" in length.

Still, I figured for eight bucks, it was worth a shot.

[​IMG]

Beefcube and IrishRover like this.
  3. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

i have never been there, but i have smoked with the spaniolas at a pipe show here in lou,ky. they are very nice men. i hope you enjoy your new pipe sir.

take care.
    mike.

JakartaBoy likes this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

8 Bucks.. yep, I would say it's worth it.. :th1:

JakartaBoy likes this.
  5. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

I made a visit to the shop in the '90 and met Paul. He gave us the Blue ribbon tour. Over the years i have been in many pipe shops but none would compare to what he had when we went through. There were all kinds of pipes. he had brand new from the '50's and '60's Kaywoodies, free hands and many other pipes too numerous to mention. I will never forget that place, WOW.

JakartaBoy likes this.
  6. ted

ted Member

Now tell me what I have.

On the bottom...SherWood
    rock briar Savanelli ?30
    On the top.... PAUL'S CAYUGA
    oil cured.

It is a tall chimney with a clear lucite stem.
    Why this stamping on a Savanelli?
    We/Mastercraft sold many pipes to Paul Spaniola over the years. This one is a mystery to me... Thanks..... ted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.