Pavlovian response

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by James Harr, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harr

James Harr Member

Does anyone else start drooling when they light up? I don't consider myself a 'wet' smoker, but from packing the bowl to the first couple of lights I notice a marked increase in saliva production. In fact right now I have some Frog Morton OTT in front of me drying out a bit for the evening dog walk and good LORD it smells good!! I need some cotton balls to stuff in my cheeks like at the dentist. :)

Yours drooly,
    J--

EmperorGix, Mark w4mms and HCraven like this.
  2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Each day I look forward to going home after work and having a pipeful but you have taken it to another level.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've noticed a marked increase in drooling since puberty, myself...:)

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I think you have something else entirely in mind.

Mark w4mms, Lestrade and dwaugh like this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Some blends hit that nerve for me. That sharp spicey goodness.... yum!

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

7. RobRiguez

RobRiguez Member

Yes. As soon as a little bite kicks in i start slobbering.

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

It does happen from time to time. I have not been able to associate it with any particular tobacco but when it hits its like a 2 year old teething. It just flows all over, down the lips down the stem inside and out and generally makes a mess of things. Then it clears up with some good ol clenching, smoke and air going into mouth just kinda dries things up for me, or it just goes away when you quit thinking about it. Dunno.:msty:

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

When I smoke my pipe, all the ladies start drooling. Does that count? :D

jeff394 and James Harr like this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Not so much for me. Maybe because I am a cig smoker is the reason

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've notice this as well. It doesn't happen all the time but frequently enough. It is more common with my Pete with the vulcanite bit. I haven't payed enough attention to identify any particular baccy associated with it.
    I know that reviews of chewing tobacco rate what you might call the slobber factor, so I assume tobacco is the culprit.

12. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

I only drool when I'm concentrating on something else: like if I'm doing yard work or working in the garage. Otherwise I'm cognizant of my drool functions. It's not because of a particular baccy.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Smoke is an irritant to the respiratory system. It's a natural mechanism to have increased salivary activity when this soft tissue wants to rid the exposure. It's one of the body's defense mechanisms. As you accustom these tissues to smoke exposure, you'll notice a decrease or habituation of this response. For some it's quick but many still drool. Unfortunately, for those who inhale, you'll decrease this response due to the killing off of the Goblet Cells in the lower respiratory tract and these cells do not replace themselves much at all. So, if you inhale (cigs, sticks, or leaf smoke), you are thwarting off your own body's defense mechanism in its ability to move this irritant out of the lungs. Additionally, the fine cilia projections (microscopic finger-like) that move this mucus out also die off noticably fast for inhalers. These do not grow back. So you predispose yourself to pneumonias and other lung problems by inhaling.

Otoh, whether there is a psych component to this response could very well exist.....
    You want to smoke
    Gonna smoke something good
    You look forward to this treat
    And it's on the way......;)

Don't rule out both occuring. Both physical and psychological responses.

Ed
    Puff

14. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

That makes sense, when I first started pipe smoking I slobbered so badly I had to wipe my mouth and the bit constantly. 12 months on, it still happens but not nearly as bad as it used to. It seems worse if I'm moving around doing something.
    Maybe it's my body telling me to sit down, relax and tune out for an hour...

15. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

This only happens to me when I'm reading or doing anything else that requires me to face down. Keep it clean, fellas. :p:

16. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Not actually drool per se, but there is an increased saliva output at times, when the pipe is lit, I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.