1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear Wood Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by PipeLotus, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Hello folks,

I recently purchased this Mr. Brog

[​IMG]

Its going to be my first 'BIG' pipe, but it is also going to be my first Pear wood pipe.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences with Pearwood? How does it compare with Briar? I know Mr. Brog sells his pipes cheaper, but that could just be his pricing. Is there any pear taste imparted on the tobacco? Just curious if you folks had any experience with Pearwood. Up until I heard of Mr. Brog, I had never encountered it.

2. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Never tried pearwood, but have made a few outa cherrywood. After the cake builds, same as any. Does have just a slight hint of flavor until then. But actually kinda pleasing. Imagine pearwood would act the same way. That's a nice looking pipe, congrats and enjoy!

Skrymr and PipeLotus like this.
  3. orto

orto Member

I was just browsing the Mr. Brogs after seeing a YouTube review (pipefriendCHS). I'm going to order one when I have a little spare scratch. The price is right.

TheMadMan likes this.
  4. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I have a Mr. Brog Old Army. It is pear wood, and I love it. That is a big pipe, enjoy!

TheMadMan likes this.
  5. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I'm smoking this monster right now. Bit of Frog Morton on the town, it is heavenly.

I took a few sips sans tobacco, and I noticed the absolute faintest pear taste, but its lost in the tobacco. It seems my fears of Pear being sub-briar where very unjustified. This pipe is amazing.

TheMadMan, orto and Raffxr7 like this.
  6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I am glad that it is doing well for you, I just cut some pear wood today after reading your posts!

PipeLotus likes this.
  7. jbennin314

jbennin314 Member

Most pipes made out of other woods then briar. Have a tendencies to crack at the bowl.
    jim

8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Good to know Jim, fortunately I'm such a beginner at this point I am only making pipes to satisfy my craving for PAD without emptying my wallet completely! :) Does a thicker wall on the bowl make it more resistant to cracking?

9. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Interesting, I'd never heard that.

10. jbennin314

jbennin314 Member

First the pipe is beautiful and well made. The design flows and looks like and well balance. I have found that every pipe I have purchased other then briar wood has cracked on me. This tends to happen over a period of time. It will separate where the grain runs thur the bowl.
    I don't smoke a hot pipe and I keep the carbon down in the bowl. As far as the thicks goes I can't really tell you if that will make a difference. Maybe someone else can answer that.
    jim

11. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

I have a Mr.Brog 21 old army pipe i go the other day. I have only about 8 bowls in her, but she is a great smoking pipe!

PipeLotus and Skrymr like this.
  12. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

I've made several cherry wood pipes and haven't had any trouble from them....yet. This is one of the first I did, ugly as sin, but smokes so good, just can't get rid of it, lol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and I smoke a lot!
    [​IMG]
    This one is around 2 yrs old.
    The Beermeister was made last Nov. for a 9 hr trip to Ohio
    [​IMG]
    And it gets smoked... a lot!
    [​IMG]
    So far so so good. Haven't had any problems out of them, but I do boil my wood and dry it before using it, might be the difference in making it last. Not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.