1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peder Jeppesen Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Scotty Cameron, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

Anyone know anything about these pipes?

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

3. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

I am thinking about buying one and wonder if they are good smokers?

4. Spillproof

They are. Peder Jeppeson is an outstanding pipe-maker, a good guy, and has the audacity to charge very little for his work.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  5. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

of all the pipes I've ever owned, the Peder Jeppesen I had has the distinction of having the worst stem I've ever smoked. Flimsy, took tooth marks (from someone who NEVER marks their stems), whistled on draw, felt like molded plastic. Inexcusable. Jeppesen is also very much from the Nording school; spend 15 minutes shaping a pipe then on to the next. His stuff feels like he didn't put much into it. For the money you'd pay for a Jeppesen you could buy a really nice pipe, and that's my recommendation.

6. Spillproof

I am sorry to hear that Cakeanddottle.
    I have had a couple of Neerups, both were outstanding smokers, and very well made. I have also inspected dozens of his other pipes.

Though Jeppeson worked for Nording, I am confident in saying that his pipes are far superior (on average). He puts out 2500 pipes a year (Nording does 50000).

However, it is certainly true that there are other pipes in the same price range worthy of consideration.

For slightly more money, you could step into a very nicely made Italian pipe.
    For a whole lot less, you could get a very nice English pipe from a number of "lesser known" producers.

I am not much of a fan of lower end Peterson pipes (sorry), and haven't bought a Savinelli in years.
    Stanwell's are no longer Danish (they're Italian), if that matters to you.
    Ben Wade still makes some very nice pipes and have less fills than the others named from what I have seen recently.

7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I love my Neerup. Phenomenal smoker, high quality, no fills, gorgeous grain, and it only cost me 90 bucks. It was the first "nice pipe" I ever bought, and I still love it. I agree with Spill that Peder is a really nice guy, too. I would never hesitate to recommend a Neerup.

What are these inexpensive English pipes you speak of, Spill? Invicta, I guess? I'm always on the lookout for affordable English pipes. I love the classic shaping and proportions, and for some reason, pipes and England seem to me to go together.

But I must reiterate, I highly recommend Neerup pipes. For the same price as a Nording, they're about five times nicer.

Marker likes this.
  8. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I thought we were talking about Peder Jeppesen stamped pipes, not the cheaper Neerup line.

9. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Was the actual pipe a good smoker though? To me, stems are a dime a dozen and you can always get a new one made, a lot of the time better than the original. So, are you just pissed off about the stem, or is the actual pipe a dud?

10. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I'm with you guys, in my experience Peder Jeppesen = Quality guy and quality pipes.

Mount Mandolin and Marker like this.
  11. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

It didn't belong on the same rack as my English and Italian pipes. The stem was awful and the smoking qualities didn't overcome the stem issue. This was a $200-300 Jeppesen, and comparing it to pipes i own in that range it was a pretty sorry pipe.

I'm pretty demanding of my pipes, but this opinion is just how I feel about the brand after my experience owning one. It's negative because my impressions were negative, not because I'm out to skewer anyone's favorite brand.

Lithua pipe and jpberg like this.
  12. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Thanks for explaining! I was just wondering if the stem was the only issue, or if it was something else also. I totally agree, for that much money you should be getting a decent stem. Thanks!

13. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

It had a restricted draw and wouldn't pass a cleaner.

14. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Two other things I didn't like, but enough about my bad experience.

15. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

That's interesting, cakeanddottle. I've been wanting to try a Neerup pipe for awhile but hadn't heard much about the higher end Jeppesen pipes. I wonder if maybe you just got a bum pipe? I agree, a pipe in that range shouldn't have those issues. As to the restricted draw, I wonder if that's a Danish thing or if it was just a bad drilling? I've noticed some pretty small draft holes on some Danish pipes and others, especially in vintage Danish pipes, have wide open draws. Maybe this is because the Danes, nowadays, at least, seem to prefer Aros?

Spillproof likes this.
  16. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I think this is likely the case, the bum pipe part at least. It's still surprising though. I've never seen a "Jeppesen" pipe, I don't think; there are Neerup pipes out there in the $300 range, but I've never seen them listed anywhere as Jeppesen pipes. Also, about the draw, my Neerup (which was actually just a tiny bit under $100) has a fantastic draw. Perfect, actually. Nice, wide open, but just below the point of being too open.

17. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Google Peder Jeppesen pipe, you'll find vendors who sell them. They're the line actually made by Peder himself. Just under $200 to upwards of $600, depending on grade.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  18. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

I bought mine at Pipes and Cigars.

19. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

Just a quick update. I have been smoking my Peder Jeppesen now for about a week. It is amazing. Great draw and very comfortable. I would defiantly recommend his pipes to someone looking for a great pipe in the 100-150 range..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.