Penzance and Stonehaven

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I won't name him for fear that you may all go around his house and lynch him for stupidity, but a forum member very kindly sent me some of these hallowed blends. I'm smoking the Penzance now. It arrived a little dry but I couldn't wait to get stuck in. Good smoke for sure although I won't be able to get a good opinion of it until I try some that is not quite so dry. Stonehaven up next in the Falcon I just received from Polymoog, the Godfather of PAD!

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I coulda sent you some of these if I'd known you were looking. I'm personally not a huge Penzance fan (yeah, yeah, sue me), but I love Stonehaven. It's in my personal top five for sure. I bet you'll love it. Experiment with different bowl shapes and sizes though, because it can be a totally different blend in one pipe than it is in another, in my experience. I usually smoke it in a Peterson System 303.

psquared and dmkerr like this.
  3. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

What a way to christen the falcon, im jealous ive heard so many good things about stonehaven i would love to try some of that?
    did you by any chance send me a small sample of that particular delicacy or is it just too good to trade!!!

4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I sent your package while I was out at university. Didn't get the Stonehaven til I got back home. Sorry! Plus, now I've finally got my hands on this blend I'm going to be greedy with it so look elsewhere! However, the right trade might just sway my choice........

5. DocB

DocB Active Member

I thoroughly enjoy Penzance in a cob, and it's good in my Pete B16 as well. Never had Stonehaven, but am always on the lookout. I will run across some soon enough.

6. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Ha, i don't blame you but it makes me want it even more......
    Ive ordered some Germains rich dark flake which should be here early next week ,someones said is very similar to stonehaven but it would be nice to do a side by side comparision!

SalopSt likes this.
  7. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have probably given out more Penzance than I have actually smoked. It's good, it's ok.

8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

congratx on getting your hands on these ultra rate tobaccos buistd :). I was lucky to get a 8 oz bag of stone and i understand why its so rare. Ive never tried Penz tho. I also read that rich dark flake is europes version of stone and stone is for america.

9. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Yea, I think you did send some of that home with me. I had the same reaction to it. Meh.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Penzance, like Squadron Leader, was a blend I jumped on when it's popularity started to skyrocket. I liked it just fine but wasn't bowled over.

My first sample of Stonehaven, however, sent me on a quest to buy as much as possible. A classic blend!

11. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

We need to talk.:D

browny likes this.
  12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Rich Dark Flake is good stuff. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

13. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Contrary as it seems, I suspect that if a few of these fabled blends were not so difficult to get hold of they would be less popular.

SouthBound and David Emond like this.
  14. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Well the reason why its so unavailable is because poeple think that it is that good. If it wasnt good it would be on shelves all over the place taking up dust.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  15. browny

browny Member

This should be made his banner/title under his name

And your a lucky lucky man, smoke a bowl for me eh.

Polymoog likes this.
  16. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

That's right!!

David Emond likes this.
  17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Yes, we have members that generous you'ld think they were angels without wings. Geez,........did I really write that?! I'd better get some sleep.

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.