Penzance mold paranoia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gunsmoke, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Stopped in a local cigar shop yesterday & they had some penzance & stone haven on hand. Soooo......
    I bought 8oz of each. I have never smoked either one of these blends but took a leap of faith based on the consensus around here (not the 1st time won't be the last).
    I am jarring up the Penzance when I notice this grayish color between the flakes. It's not furry or green or white but it does resemble mold a little. Am I paranoid? Should I smoke this? Will I develop a rash? These and other questions are plaguing me. What should I do & don't say send it to me I'll smoke it because I'm on to you guys you know who you are. But it does concern me.

Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks Brian :msty:

2. el guero

el guero Member

When I opened up my first tin of Penzance it looked just like that. From what I can tell those are sugar crystals and I would say go for it!

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Pictures. Just in case it is mold.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

99% it's not mold.

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

6. furious

furious Junque collector

Definitely not mold. Just bloom from good aging. Similar to what you'll find on a cigar. Reason why Penzance bloom is a little darker than normal is due to fermentation method.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Smoke it.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Thanks guys much appreciated. Just lit some up it's quite nice.

BTW: The name of the shop is 8 to 8 cigars in Villa Park IL they had it in stock yesterday

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

It's just the was penzance is. I just double checked mine and it looks the same (actually mine has more spots) I can tell you it's not mold because I'm highly allergic to it and I have no problems smoking penzance. If your still worried you can send me your stash and I'll smoke various samples for you (just to be on the safe side)

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yes.

Yes.

Maybe... but it would be a stress rash from paranoia. :ohyh:

jpberg and albot9 like this.
  11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I'm smoking some right now & no rash but there is a slight burning sensationn when I... Nevermind I think that's something else.

12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Things have come to quite a pass when you have to travel to Tijuana for a tin of Penzance! But sounds like you brought something else back with you! :ohyh:

Rewster66 likes this.
  14. Gary

Gary Member

Can I borrow some Stonehaven?

15. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi Brian,
    I jarred up a pound of Penzance back in December that looked like that. I just checked it and it looked the same as it did then. It hasn't "grown". I just smoked some from that batch a couple of days ago and it was great! I had the same thing happen to SG Choc Flake & SG Navy Flake. They also smoke great after a couple of years in the jar. I might add that all were from bulk form not from a tin.

Paul

16. DocB

DocB Active Member

Most of the SG flakes have this same appearance. I have some FVF from '07 and it is identical to yours. Has something to do with their processing/fermentation methods. Its GTG... Smoke it!!

17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

That burning sensation coming from your one eyed snake?

Dondi likes this.
  18. tungbite

tungbite Member

The 8oz. bags of Esoterica's Kingsbridge and Tilbury(not as much) also had that same whitish powder look in some spots, so it must be the aging process? Great tobaccos!

19. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Not mold, Mollted, I thought the same thing when I first saw it, since then I acquired several well aged tobaccos with a similar look, not to worry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.