Penzance Vs. 1776 Tavern

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Having spent a bit of time with each blend, both are very similar to one another to my tasting ability. I think that Tavern has the edge on complexity, but it also has everything under the sun and the kitchen sink in it as well. Both are blends that I like very much, but both come with their own issues with one being ungodly expensive, and the other often being harder to find than ta tas on a bull. There are certain points at which, when smoking either, I would be unable to distinguish the two in a blind taste-test. Choices. Choices.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Just smoked some Penz last night and have some Tavern in the cellar. Need to do a side by side. Thanks. I will let you know when I do.

3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Penzance is one of the Classics. I ordered a sample of 1776 Tavern and while it had a multitude of flavors I couldn't help but think it had a light sauce on it which I didn't quite agree with.

4. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

I don't taste the similarity, 1776 Tavern was good but I agree with Rodfather, it had some kind of topping.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

WOW! Just checked the $ for that 1776 Tavern. Not cheap!

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Penzance is smoother and a little stronger in Lat flavor to me. I give the Tavern the edge on complexity, but Penz wins in overall enjoyment for me- no contest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.