Penzance

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Out of the blue I decided to go to my local B&M today to see what's available. I came across a couple tins of Penzance and took one home. While admiring the tin, the tin cover popped off, revealing quite a bit of rust on the top edge of the tin which most likely compromised the seal. The flakes were still neatly wrapped and packed, so I don't think someone had previously opened the tin and touched the tobacco.

Does this sound like the typical condition in which Penzance come? or have I stumbled upon an aged tin out of sheer luck?

Here is an image:
    [​IMG]

2. phinz

phinz Active Member

Your image is broken.

Rectangular/Square tins suck. They open up randomly.

3. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Sorry... fixed!

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

When you say the tin top popped off, did it just fall off as you were observing it, or did it make a sound like air being released; like a suction noise?

Was the tobacco dried out (Penzanze is very moist)? Do you see mold, or smell anything out of the ordinary?

5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I had the same experience lately. Stumbled upon some old, dusty tins of Penzance at a local B&M. I don't know how to date the tins but they obviously have some years on them. My tin has 11074 stamped on the bottom but I don't know what that means.

I bought one tin just to try the blend and my tin looks a lot like yours. It has the same type of rust spots. I have smoked a couple bowls from the tin and it is good stuff. I had never tried Penzance until I got this tin so I cannot comment on whether or not aging has effected it.

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

That would not be atypical. No worries, you'll probably still need to dry each flake out separately before smoking.

7. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Hi Stonewall - It just popped off without any sound. No swoosh. The tobacco is still moist

[​IMG]

8. phinz

phinz Active Member

The other question is naturally, "Why didn't you buy the other tin?" followed by, "Where is this particular B&M?"

9. phinz

phinz Active Member

And the same question goes for you. Why? Where?

DocB likes this.
  10. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

A new blend for me too... Wanted to see what this thing is all about...

11. phinz

phinz Active Member

Pick up the other tin. I'll trade you a tin of Marlin Flake...

12. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks Dondi. Yes the flakes definitely don't look like they have dried out. Looking forward to smoking it...

13. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

The said B&M shall remain unidentified until I have the chance to acquire their remaining stock of Penzance. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got a tin of Balkan Sobranie as well. :)

14. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Here's what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

I bought mine at a local B&M called Epicure's Smoke Shop in Springfield, Illinois. The lid on mine was sealed and didn't pop until I opened it myself.

DublinBecker likes this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Hiya back, DB!

Well if it doesn't appear to be tainted, I wouldn't worry too much. It could have popped lose during the transition between shop and home as well. If you don't find any issues, I'd take the tin back and show the shop keeper. Maybe they have more in the back. Or perhaps they'll give you a discount. I'd buy the other tin too. Lol

DublinBecker likes this.
  16. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Perpahs the rust was there before the tin was sealed...a recycled tin maybe?

17. conroygc

conroygc Member

Penzance is good stuff, isn't it. Hopefully soon I'll buy one two of those 16oz bags when they're available online. One for now, one for later.

DublinBecker likes this.
  18. furious

furious Junque collector

That tin is defective and its contents compromised to the elements. Terrible loss indeed. However, to soften the blow, I'll trade you 50g of Mixture No. 79 for it. PM if interested!

19. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Buckshot - your tin looks even more rusted than mine... I guess it is a fairly common occurrence. enjoy the smoke.

Buckshot likes this.
  20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I knew I shouldn't have been browsing this thread, now look what you've made me do!
    [​IMG]

mojo66, N3M0, DublinBecker and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.