1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peretti's CUBAN MIXTURE

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WVDAVE, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

This has been getting good reviews from what I've read. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on CUBAN MIXTURE?

2. BigG

BigG Member

A year ago I was in Boston for a meeting & stopped by Peretti's to get some samples of their blends.
    Of the ones I tried (all of which were extremely high quality blends that I liked), I found Cuban Mixture to be one of the most interesting, tasty, complex pipe tobaccos I've ever tried in many, many years of pipe smoking. Bought one of their "paint can" sizes of Cuban Mixture to cellar - I'm sure it will only get better and better with time.
    Glen

3. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

I just bought a bunch of samples from Peretti's and Cuban Mixture was one of them. Of the 10 or so bowls I've smoked its certainly growing on me. For me bowl size was important to get this right. And I'll suggest larger is better for this blend. Its a shag type cut that to me was a little moist. But smoked in the right size pipe, and packed on the light side burned excellent with a few tamps. Taste is smooth, sweet and full. All the tobaccos in this are definitely playing a part. Its not a nicotine powerhouse but just a pleasant tasting burley blend. I do find it burns quicker then most and leaves me wanting more. If you like burley try it. In fact I haven't smoked a Peretti blend I haven't liked yet.

4. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

all Peretti Burleys have a weird scenting that is either applied or is an herbal additive. If you don't notice it, they're good tobacco. If the scenting begins to stand out for you, it's a total deal breaker. I liked Peretti Burleys at one time, now they totally turn my stomach. YMMV.

5. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Cake, I guess my taste is not as refined as yours because I don't find an objectionable additive in any of Peretti's blends that shouldn't be there. Peretti's produce the finest of blends IMO.

6. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Yeah I used to like them a lot, but something turned for me. I have a 2011 sealed 8oz of Cuban Mixture if anyone wants to PM me, I've been looking to trade it for a while.

7. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

The moistness in my batch could be a topping of some type. It's a unique flavor that I attribute to the other tobaccos in the blend. But I'm probably wrong. On the other hand all the other Peretti blends are very dry compared to Cuban. So it probably is cased with something. Regardless what it is It's a fine smoke. Also to my understanding its their oldest blend.

8. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

The treatment that Peretti Burleys receive reminds me more of the scentings of Gawith Hoggarth. I'm not talking Ennerdale type obliteration here, but it's definitely there to varying degrees in all of them.

9. pipealicious

pipealicious Member

I'm smoking the last bowl of a 1oz sample pack of Cuban Mixture. I bought it in Feb 2014 on a work trip to Boston, together with Royal, Tasjkent, Blend nr 432, and 333. All blends were very good, but Cuban Mixture stood out for me. I smoked it in a fresh cob and it was an absolute delight. There's lots going on, but it is soooo balanced, nothing dominates. I describe it as very tasty, smooth, lots of smoke and flavor, complex, nutty, toasty, roasty, earthy in the end. Medium nicotine levels. It burns so cool and dry, without relights and tamping. I'm craving much much more of this stuff.

10. mongo

mongo Active Member

Any Latakia in this blend?

11. BigG

BigG Member

Yes but more of a condiment than a major player. While it's mainly a burley-forward blend, there's a little bit of everything in Cuban Mixture. The result is complex and really scrumptious!

12. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

As a guy prone to tongue bite, I found this very, very sharp. I couldn't smoke it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.