1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Perfect brand/carver collection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by soundlzrd, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Today I almost pulled the trigger on a Dunhill estate from smoking pipes. Unfortunately for me, while on my walk to decide if I really needed another pipe, it sold. However, on the walk I did think about my pipe collection and what holes it may have and what I would like included. So, what carves or brands would you say are required for any dream pipe collection. I understand that affordable is relative, but I am thinking within reach of the working man. What are you looking for, saving for or lusting after to make your collection complete?

Sean

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

My collection is getting near respectable right now, but know there are a few Petersons and Boswell pipes I want to round out the rotation. Sometimes I also just think generally about "shapes" more than makers when I am browsing for a new pipe at the shop. Definitely looking for about 2-3 more Oom Pauls and a couple bent eggs in there. Maybe a couple Meerchaums too.

Think towards the end I would like a Boswell Grizzly in there to display just for the "holy crap!" factor for people visiting. :byg:

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

You mean like this...

[​IMG]

4. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Haha, I love those things. There was a straight one listed on Ebay a while ago that looked like a briar babys arm!!

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I really wanted that one, but 900 dollars was not gonna fly with the wife. Holding it will have to do for now,..

6. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Yeah the straight one on ebay was going for about $700. I can be sneaky with my larger tobacco purchases when the wife is browsing the accounts with some "tricky" accounting. But aint no sneakiness on earth that can hide that bad boy once its up and on display in the bar!

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I still plan on buying an uber briar at some point - uber to me being an S. Ivarsson, Sven Knudsen, Nordh or a Toku, and decide if it's really a big deal or not. Other than that, I'm too busy smoking to worry about it.

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Someday I will have an S. Bang. Until then, I'll keep slumming with Wileys and BSTs.

9. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I may be one of the few people without PAD. (not saying I don't have disorders:)). I have commissioned a T-bear pipe. After that I want to try one of Sasquatch's pipes. -David

jpberg likes this.
  10. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

2 pipes on the horizon?? That sounds like the early warning signs of PAD to me!! :confused:

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Tinsky gold Star! In the meantime, a Brian Ruthenberg will do....

Ed
    Puff

12. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

So no need for a Dunhill I'm hearing.l.

13. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I like the idea of having a representative pipe of each countries work and "style". I can always get a better English billiard, a better Danish freehand, a crazier Italian etc..

14. RS422

RS422 Member

Got a Ruthenberg at the Las Vegas show and still haven't lit it up yet.

Puff The Magic likes this.
  15. jpberg

I think Brian is Hot Shirt, he's just a ways down my list of must haves.

16. KevinP

KevinP Member

Well that was your first mistake. Except for the newest newbies, none of us need another pipe; we buy 'em because we want 'em.

I'm currently trying to get one Jacono from each of the grades he offers. I currently have a Knight, Bishop E, Jack and Queen E. I need a Rook, a King and a 'Special.' Right now, I'm just trying to get one from each grade without regard to the variations (E, Checkmate, etc.). I may never be able to afford a King, even though Jaconos tend to be considerably cheaper than comparable pipes from other makers. The highest I'm aware of a King going for is US$1500, which is more than I'd ever pay but still considerably cheaper than if the same block of briar had found its way into the Dunhill factory.

But they are some of the most beautiful, artistic pipes out there, and I'd say that any collection without one has a hole.

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Have two BriarArt pipes (b Ruthenberg) and have smoked one, it is amazing! If i could only have two briar pipes in the world, it'd be a BriarArt AND a Tinsky! :D

Ed
    Puff

18. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Never heard of a jacono. A quick look, looks interesting.

From Ed I am hearing to just have Tinksy make any shape I like!

19. jpberg

David, friend, we are all aware of your disorders. We're trying to talk about pipe makers here.

dwaugh likes this.
  20. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I am grateful to actually have all the pipes I NEED, but I've been lusting after a Boswell bent spiral for as long as I can remember. I'd also love a Tinsky, a Bear's Den, and an Adry at some point. Oh yeah, and a Baki meer and a gourd calabash!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.