Perique and an inexperienced fool

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JP UK, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP UK

JP UK Member

Having been introduced to the joys of perique by Glynn at Gauntley's (don't know if he posts here), specifically in the form of his red lace blend, I was tempted to try other perique heavy blends from elsewhere. I've tried a few, liked them, especially the Orlik bullseye.

A few weeks ago I was in a speciallist tobacconist and I spotted and interesting tobacco called 'perique'.

I had to try it.

With the assistant's mutterings about something to do with 'being brave' ringing in my ears, I set off for home. I packed a pipe with this new tobacco and headed out on a country walk. The charring light was...challenging. Potent is a good word for it.

Once lit, the following ten minutes or so involved me alternating between trying to take baby puffs, coughing my lungs up and feeling violently sick crossed with a strange chest pain.

I now understand with even tobaccos classed as 'perique heavy', only a small percentage is made up of perique.

Hellish stuff in neat form. Lesson learned.

2. Tate

Tate Member

That is why they call it a blending tobacco. :beck:

BigJ likes this.
  3. Joe Ahearn

Joe Ahearn Active Member

You are a brave man.

4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Yea, its not supposed to be smoked on its own. Mix it with some other non-perique blends you might have and see what you can spice up and improve.

rondel65 likes this.
  5. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I wish I could go to Gauntley's.

6. JP UK

JP UK Member

The word is 'stupid'.

Joe Ahearn and scopawl like this.
  7. JP UK

JP UK Member

I know there is nothing like actually being able to go into a shop like this, but to be fair to them their website is pretty extensive. Well worth a trip though should you ever find yourself in the area.

Thing that gets me is the size of the place, it is tiny but they have so much nice stuff.

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Brave is one word :P it's all a learning curve my friend :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.