1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Perique heavy blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tate, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tate

Tate Member

I'm a total perique hound. Name the heaviest perique blends you've smoked and your thoughts.

Thanks!

K Williams and Linus like this.
  2. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I forget the name but there is a 4 noggin blend supose to be about 40% perique.

3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

You're thinking of Cool Hand Fluke by John Patton. That was the very one I was going to recommend. It smokes very cool for me with lots of sweet spice and pungent sidestream. Highly recommend.

RS422 and DakOOk like this.
  4. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

McClelland's Beacon Extra. What I've tried so far I didn't really care for. It wasn't an overwhelming spiciness that did it, more like a musty quality.

5. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

C&D Bayou Morning Flake is quite peppery.

6. RS422

RS422 Member

Cool Hand Fluke is my favorite tobacco. Even with the high perique content, it is a smooth smoke and very tasty.

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. I don't know how much perique it has but it tastes very peppery to me.

8. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Briar Fox is a pretty tasty VA/Per, but my favorite perique blend is probably Kickin Chicken. I like the perique kick in Nightcap as well.

dbt13 likes this.
  9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Briar Fox is a good vaper without the per.

buistd likes this.
  10. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

My experience with Vapers is limited and I look forward to seeing some of the other suggestions as well..
    In that note I did enjoy C&D First Responder. Nice and spicy.

11. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I find that Perique does very different things depending on how much of it is used and what type of other tobaccos are in the blend with it. For instance, GL Pease's Telegraph Hill has a cool sorta citrusy thing going on that is accented by the Perique, whereas something like Escudo has a spicy sort of character as a result of the Perique content. So, it's a strange leaf because it can do different things for different blends. In Nightcap, for instance, it can be hard to pin down exactly what the Perique does, but you know it would be a totally different blend without it. And in my favorite blend, St. James Flake, the Perique contributes to a kind of stewed fruit type of taste that is very singular.

From what I understand, Perique also adds nicotine content, and that's a good thing by me. Some of my favorites with Perique in them would be Escudo, Telegraph Hill, Hal O' The Wynd, and my all-time favorite, St. James Flake.

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

4noggins Prairie Wind has a nice amount of perique in it. Just enough spice to keep it interesting as an all day smoke for me.
    Escudo has already been mentioned, and I'd add Davidoff Flake Medallions as another interesting one.

FlatbushPaul and Professor like this.
  13. user3610

user3610 Member

Did anybody say Kajun Kake yet? My favorite breakfast smoke.
    I think crumble cake form is the only way to go for perique.

Tate, FlatbushPaul and dmkerr like this.
  14. Johnny

Johnny Member

Old Joe Krantz has a pretty good amount of Perique in it

Tate and gahdzila like this.
  15. craig

craig Active Member

El picante americana by gauntleys of nottingham 30% perique content nice smoke but too strong for me if you like spice in a tobacco this is it lol

16. buistd

buistd Active Member

I tried a sample of that recently. Didn't like it one bit - I found it really rough actually.

To answer the original post, well everyone has said what I was going to. Particularly agree with Cool Hand Fluke and OJK. Haven't tried Bayou Morning Flake, but the non-flake version is Perique-heavy to my tastes.

17. craig

craig Active Member

I found it could be rough if i went at it hard it was good but far too strong i would say filmore by gl pease reading the label it has a genorous dose of perique but weather its perique heavy i dont know anyone have any ideas

18. buistd

buistd Active Member

I just found it dried my mouth and throat horribly, and the taste wasn't particularly memorable. Well it was, but for all the wrong reasons. Closest I've come to ditching a bowl midway since I decided to revisit Borkum Riff Bourbon a year or so ago.

19. Linus

Linus Member

I smoke a houseblend from the local tobaccostore, 81/19% ViPer, every now and then, it's really good, also you might wanna try Haddo's delight from Greg Pease. Not the periqueheaviest, but all in all a fantastic blend :) i could get a tin of pure perique, but, i dont XD i cant blend likeapro anyway :)

PipeSimmo and Tate like this.
  20. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Oops, reminder not to trust my tastebuds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.