1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Perplexing Peterson......

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I have a Peterson A-1 St Patrick's Day 2011 with the band stamped/placed upside down.

[​IMG]

The original owner (this is still unsmoked) had contacted Peterson and informed him that they wanted it back. I guess Peterson wants to find out if this is a counterfeit or a Peterson "fup-duk".

I also have an A-1 of the same yr/make that is the way it's supposed to be. In comparing the two, they both look like the real-deal, just one with the band placed upside down. Aside from the bands, they're both identical.

My question: Should I contact Peterson and ask them about it, offer it to be returned? Or, should I just keep it as a "Pete novelty" and just smoke the daylights out of this "yin/yang" pair?

I'm not after anything outrageous in exchange from Peterson, just something of equal value and equally interesting.......... or whatever Peterson wishes to offer for my goodwill. I totally understand their desire to get the pipe back. It'll answer their question as to "how it happened" and whether it's a counterfeit or not.

What do you pipers think? Send her? Smoke her?

Ed
    Puff

2. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

You should send her...to me!

Is the same "st patricks day" stamp on the "crazy" one as the other one "correct" one you have?

To my untrained eye, it looks like the shank is different in length from one to the other.

3. Puff The Magic

I just sent Peterson of Dublin an email with the jpg above. Offering the return of the pipe. If they want it back for examination to rule out counterfeit/post factory tampering/or factory goof, then, I'll send it back......... as long as they send the pipe back to me or trade it for another Pete if they wish to keep it. To me, it's a curiosity or novelty. Yes, I do value it a touch more mainly as a rare novelty. Peterson doesn't let out many goofs do they?

I'll post on this thread what their response entails.

Ed
    Puff

4. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

It would suck if they determined it to be a fake, and destroyed it....

It seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened. If it were me, that would drive me crazy, but I'm slightly OCD when it comes to my shiny expensive things :lol:

5. DocB

DocB Active Member

Interesting... I say you keep it and drive Peterson of Dublin crazy!!! Ahahahahahha. Kidding. But keeping it would be cool.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Double struck coins are worth more because of their rarity. I say make Peterson 'pay' for it...say a pipe of at least double the value!

Jussto likes this.
  7. Puff The Magic

Will have to see how badly Peterson wants this pipe back. If they're going to confiscate it and destroy it, then, it won't be shipped to them. If they wish to consider a more civil approach in giving the pipe back to me "as is" with a letter of explanation from Peterson, I can live with that. If they wish to go one step further and offer me something to offset my efforts and generosity, then, I can live with that too. Either way, I won't lose what I have into it (which is about $30 usd more than what I can get an "un-muk'd-up" one). If Peterson wants to play, cool. If not, I'll be happy to keep it.

I'd thought of the possibility of the prior owner flipping the band but there is no evidence that occurred. The one that "looks right" looks as if it's band could have been flipped but the "looks wrong" band looks completely factory fresh. Both are considered "acceptable" as far as I'm concerned as banded Petes go.

Ed
    Puff

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. It would be cool if they shipped back a replacement pipe and some free tobacco for the trouble. Not that you are short in your cellar... :D

Yes, that is a green w/envy smiley. ;)

9. Puff The Magic

I live in Maryland (NOT the "Free State" it used to be.....). So no free leaf sent inbound to MD. Gotta move from this "prison state". Would be nice if they did offer a "token" but I'm not really out anything and I actually feel it's a neat pipe to have........ sort of a conversation piece among pipesters. But, otoh, I truly can understand Peterson's desire to have it back. If it is a flaw in workmanship/adornmanship/whatever they call the dude/dudette that adorns these Petes, then, they wanna find out what that craftsman drank.............maybe they didn't drink enough? :) Now, if it is a counterfeit, it's a damned good one, but the crook goofed. I really don't think this is a counterfeit, it's that good.

Ed
    Puff

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

You know, the Post Office wanted those stamps with the airplanes printed upside-down back, too. Now they're worth like a gazillion dollars.

11. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Your pipe is what's known as a "Friday afternoon" pipe. :P

12. Puff The Magic

Ok, apparently, Peterson wants this pipe back in a bad way. I'd emailed them with a pic of the pipe (same as above pic) and their response was awaiting in my email box this morning when I got up. That was FAST!

Paraphrased, they want the pipe back so they can re-fit the band since quality is important to them.

Somehow, I don't believe Peterson feels it's a counterfeit or a "do it yourself" job where the purchaser flipped the band. I believe they know they "fup-duk" and wish to correct their mistake. Honorable of them to offer this service and quite professional. If they didn't care, they wouldn't have responded. The email made no mention of any sort of incentive for me to send it back other than getting it back with the band fitted properly. The angel on my shoulder says to send it back. While the devil on the other side says to keep it since this "upside downer" is a very special pipe, more so in an unusual way than a "correct one". I'm thinking, for the most part, to just send it back. What's preventing me from sending it back is "this one's unique" and that uniqueness will be lost other than to my own gratification by getting it returned looking as if it was proper from the beginning. Oh btw, I am quite gratified owning this one to begin with......... I feel I'll be less gratified by sending it back and see what happens.

Ed
    Puff

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I kind of like the backward band, you may have something one of a kind there!

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

If you had a coin that had one face stamped upside-down, would you be willing to send it to the Mint for a "replacement" in the interest of "quality"? I didn't think so.
    Keep the thing for it's eccentric value.
    Dan

Kiowapipe likes this.
  15. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I'm with Dan on this one. It's something cool, and a conversation piece (as you can tell...).

16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I'll third the motion to keep it.

17. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Keep it....you already HAVE a "correct" one. These two make quite a special pair.

18. Puff The Magic

I was thinking about contacting a couple of e-tailers I've bought Petes from in the past as well as the b&m I bought the "correct" one (a Peterson Pipe show this past March) and see what they recommend but I'm starting to lean on just keeping it and smokin' her like she's stolen, well, her and her sister of course! :D Love sisters.....

Ed
    Puff

19. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

while i'd feel bad not sending it back after they asked for it, (although, if they didn't volunteer it at their expense, i'm not gonna feel bad at all) i'd keep it with it's sister and enjoy the conversations and memories around them. while smoking em like a chimney, too.

20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Keep it, Ed! If Peterson wants it that bad,
    even better reason to hang on to it. Besides,
    they'd just turn the band a quarter turn, and
    resell it. IMHO.

Oh, but sent that Light Flake to me as
    it's in violation of some BS calorie law. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.