1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Perplexing Peterson......

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I would offer to trade it for the same, only rusticated. Peterson is probably mostly concerned with someone trying to sell this as an oddity, thus beginning a wave of people trying to alter Peterson pipes to make more oddities. That, and nobody likes their mistakes to be put into the spotlight.
  2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    What planet are you guys on........

Peterson can not confiscate or modify the pipe in anyway without your approval. It's still your property.

First of all Ed I would send it to them for verification that it is not a forgery.
    Second, if determined to be a production error I would ask Peterson to send it back unaltered with a letter stating their wish to repair the pipe.

This way you can go either way - keep it as is, or have it repaired and keep the letter as proof of the error and repair.
  3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Should not, maybe, but can not? If they view the pipe as defective or reflective of Peterson error I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they mailed back a replacement or 'repaired' pipe, without regard to Ed's wishes.
    1stGenRex likes this.
  4. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Jesla, I could understand your point, if there was money involved. For instance, when I had my camera repaired, Canon gave me an estimate of what it would cost, and I paid the quoted price for them to repair it. If they had found more stuff needed repair, and that more money would be required, THEN they would call me and ask.

Peterson wants the pipe back to repair the "Quality issue". They've already made that clear, so if he sends it in, they are going to fix it, because then he would have agreed to have them repair it, as those are the terms Peterson laid out in the email.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I've given their response much thought and I didn't say that I was giving them the pipe back nor was I commissioning its "refitting of mounted band". I like it the way it is. Since they didn't even mention anything about sending the "refitted" pipe back to me, I'm wondering their intent. If they want to own it again, then they have to make an acceptable deal both ways, not just theirs. Afterall, I do own it now. Their initial response alone told me volumes.

They recognize it as their pipe, their mistake, and want to erase "that one" out of existence. I don't blame them from their perspective. From my perspective, it's a cool pipe. And paired up with the "correct one", they make a nice pair of Petes! I guess it sounds like these pipes aren't going anywhere more and more, maybe I should just delete this thread........... naw, it'll make people aware that they do exist and keep an eye out as well as what Peterson offered historically. No bad taste in my mouth at all. I like Petes. Got two coming in today/tomorrow. :D

As a matter of fact, I believe I've got some "other" Peterson "errors" on other pipes where an obvious high-grade cross grain is stamped "Straight Grain" etc. I'm sort of likin' the oddballs. Still great smokers Petes are!

Thanks for tunin' in and advice/views :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.