Pertson's Perfect Plug (3 P's)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by slr, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slr

slr Member

I did an experiment with this fine tobacco. The first few bowls I used the rub out method of preparing the sliced tobacco. Then filled the bowl to smoke. I thought the flavors were pretty good, on the strong side, bit fruity, sweet tobacco flavors.

Then I decided to try the fold and stuff method. I thought it would be hard to keep lit but it was not. What was interesting was that the flavors were richer and stronger then the rub out method.

If you want stronger flavors out of this tobacco, use the fold and stuff method. I don't know why the flavors are bigger and richer with this method. I guess compacted tobacco flakes smoke stronger, don't know, but I really like the results.

One more thing, smoke it slow. If you smoke it too fast and all you get is straight forward strong tobacco flavors. Slow down the cadence, and smoke it slow, you will experience a range of flavors, from sweet, to bitter, to spicy, intense and rich.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the review - I found it useful. I've been working my way through the Peterson and Gawith and Hoggarth tobaccos this year but haven't got to this one yet.

Everything you've written has convinced me this is the next one to lay hands on!

Have only this year started experimenting with folding and cannonballing flakes - up til now like most Brits I've always simply rubbed them out - and I do agree with you that some really benfit from folding,

Thanks again

Gerry

3. adryazad

adryazad Member

Thanks for the review, been thinking about laying my hands on some of these. The only flake tobacco I've ever smoked is Erinmore, I guess is shall try this now!

cheers,

Adry

4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I just had my first try of this yesterday and really liked it. I rubbed it out and cannonballed in a MM Great Dane, let it sit for 36 hours then lit up. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the bowl so hopefully this DGTs well. I need to try folding it next time.

5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I slice mine super thin with a razor sharp knife and let it dry out for around 40 mins. It makes it far less of a hassle to keep lit, despite the increased effort needed while preparing the plug.

6. CBR

CBR Member

This year I've worked through a few Petersons and G&H blends myself (along the way found out I'm not into lakelands) but haven't gotten to 3P yet. I think after my current tin of tobacco is finished, it's time to crack open 3P!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.