Peter Stokkebye Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Scotty Cameron, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

I am looking to buy some Peter Stokkebye bulk tobacco, mainly because I hear the quality is good and the price is beter than buying tinned tobacco. I tend to like the English style with latakia in them. what Peter Stokkebye blends would you recommend?

Scotty,

2. GregL

GregL Member

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've smoked a fair number of PS blends and have yet to find a "great" one but they do tend to set the bar at a standard of high quality. Quite honestly, if I owned a tobacco shop today, I'd stuff my bulk jars full of Stokkebye blends. Give Balkan Supreme a try. It has all the components of an excellent Balkan and it's ridiculously cheap.

RTOdhner and Scotty Cameron like this.
  4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

PS LNF for me..

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

PS PE was a excellent English blend in my opinion. My favorite blend from them though, is LNF.

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

As Darkly said , Proper English is a super nice English blend , I like it . But no doubt .... try the English Oriental Supreme .. it's fantastic also . Ya know , PS bulks are pretty killer all around . Their aromatics are great , Their luxury blends [ Navy , Twist and Bullseye ] are renowned and their English Blends are damn fine . As with MacBaren , you could try the whole line in time and not find many bummers . :)

Old Codger, RTOdhner, Darkly and 2 others like this.
  7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend the balkan supreme...it is very tasty, and a great intro to balkan blends...plus its super cheap...

RTOdhner and Scotty Cameron like this.
  8. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

English Luxury is really good.

If you like VA's try Bull's Eye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake. No matter what you get I doubt you will be disappointed.

Are you the Scotty Cameron (golfer)? If so I've trade you some PS Blends for a putter, JK.;)

RTOdhner, GregL and Scotty Cameron like this.
  9. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

That Balkan Supreme has me intrigued.....:drly:

RTOdhner and Mington like this.
  10. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

Thank all of you so much for the input. Jesco sorry I am not the putter dude, but wish I had his money.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

PS bulks, lemme see:

Great Non-Aros would include...
    Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake (well, Luxury Twist Flake is a light aromatic).
    Balkan Supreme and English Oriental Supreme (both of these place the focus on the Orientals, with just enough Latakia to know that it's there),
    Cubed Burley,
    Aromatic Dutch Slices and Nartal Dutch Cavendish.

Great aromatics would include...
    Any of their vanilla blends,
    Optimum and Noughat, and
    a coffee flavored aro with a name I can't remember for sure... Mocha something or other, I think.

Forget the nasty Altadis stuff, go for Stokkebye. Another suggestion for bulk would be MacB, which will run you just about the same price. I think MacB makes better blends, but Stokkebye blends are still pretty damned good and they have a lot more blends to choose from.

12. Scotty Cameron

Scotty Cameron Member

RTO which of the MacB's would you recommend for the the English smoker?

13. RTOdhner

Solent Mixture is just sublime... it's kind of English, but not quite.
    HH Vintage Syrian is an awesome blend. It's got a high Latakia content, but it's the Syrian strain which is a lot smoother than the Cyprus strain.
    HH Arcadia Perique is yet another awesome blend, and the Perique is applied with a very even hand.
    While not an "English" blend. I highly recommend MacB's Plumcake. It's got Latakia in it, but it's got it's own light Aro thing going on - truly wonderful stuff.

If I had the discipline to limit my cellar to just six blends , one would be SWR and the others would all be MacB blends: Golden Extra, Scottish Mixture (aka Scottish Blend), Solent Mixture, HH Vintage Syrian, and Plumcake. I pretty much like all their blends, but the five blends that I just mentioned are my favorites.

14. RTOdhner

Now that I think about it, I'd have to add Navy Flake and Mixture Flake to that list.

15. GregL

GregL Member

I was just going to ask the same question!

16. RTOdhner

I think this is why they make such great candidates for the cellar. If I had my way, my cellar would be crammed to the gills with my favorite tinned tobaccos. Unfortunately, my tastes in tobacco are not neccessarily supported by the amount of disposable income that is available to me. However, I can afford to build one hulluva nice cellar with Stokkebye (and MacB) bulk tobaccos. They may not be Earth moving blends, but they are very good blends that cover a wide range of genres (from Aromatic to "English" blends). Stokkebye bulk blends are in no way sub-par, and I think focussing on them allows one to cellar wide and deep - or at least deep, anyway - and not go broke in the process.

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

+1 PS LNF is a great blend...a pound and a half for around fifty bucks, you can't go wrong.

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Golden Dawn? I assume it's an aromatic, but the B&M has a tin of it sitting around (and it's probably discontinued) and I've been thinking of trying it.

19. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I know folks who think that PS and Mac B are the pinnacle tobacco blenders, in spite of their low cost. Arguing just points out the personal taste issue, so there's no point. Objectively, they are in no way subpar, as you stated. And the niche they fill is awesome! As I said, if I owned a b&m, I'd have a ton of both in my bulk jars. Shoot, I even liked PS' French Vanilla and I was geared to hate it. Nice aro taste, but dry smoking, and not overblown. From a purely objective standpoint, that's a combo that's straight outta Geniusville.

20. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

My favorite Stokkebye blends:

English:
    Balkan Supreme (the best in my opinion)
    English Luxury

Virginias:
    Bull's Eye Flake
    Luxury Navy Flake

WyoBob and RTOdhner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.