1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flake Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Raffxr7, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Summed up:
    I am totally new to these three and am not sure what makes each sing. Any suggestions?

The original question:
    I recently ordered the three luxury flake blends, and I'm curious as to what type of pipe best suits each flake. I gave a LNF and LBF a try last night, but was puffing too vigorously with the excitement of a basketball game to pick up much flavor. I fault myself, not the tobacco. General pipe size and bowl shape, material (cob meer clay briar,) and general length (in case it needs more stem on a bite-prone blend), and anything else that may be of use would be excellent!

A little off topic:
    This kick started when I tried MacBaren's Navy Flake, which is a burley forward blend with a touch of cavendish. Two of my favorite tobacco types rolled into a kick butt blend, it broke in my country gentleman and I hardly touched anything else (even my precious latakia blends) until I exhausted it this week. I'd love to give the CG a continued workout with one of these three blends, but also am hoping to use a briar again... I'm going cob crazy, if the cycle doesn't break I'll be ordering another CG (or two) to dry this one out!

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I find that the Luxury series works fine in any pipe, honestly. Just rub it out, and smoke as usual...

3. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Active Member

I really only have experience with Luxury Twist Flake. The combination that has worked best for me so far is rubbing it out and then rolling it into a ball and smoking it in a group 3 (briar) pot.

ruffinogold and Raffxr7 like this.
  4. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I only really like the Bullseye Flake in this series. Works great in all of my pipes (zulus, billiards, bent pots, etc).

They should work in a cob although I have never tried it. Depending on the bowl size you may not be able to fold and stuff a whole flake.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Thank you for the quick responses fellows! Coda, it was your recommendations about this line that gave me the nudge to try them. Your reviews are great!

I gave LNF and LBF a shot in an Irwin's pot, not sure what group size... but it fits a MacBaren flake easily and swallowed up several bulls eye flakes. I didn't know if I should worry about a strong nicotine hit from LTF, since it's a virginia and I've heard they do best in small bowls. I'll have to give it a go in my meer, which has been a more reliable tester. I tend to smoke too much of a variety and contaminate a pipe, thus muting subtle (and delicious) flavors. Time for the salt and alcohol treatment on a few... :)

6. bubo2069

bubo2069 Member

I concur with the above, and all three are quite tasty.

Scott

Raffxr7 likes this.
  7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I like all 3, but LTF best.
    I would put them in this order:

1. LTF
    2. LNF
    3. LBF

8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

LNF in a meer... I get it now! Definitely different compared to MacB's NF, but still excellent! I have a feeling LBF may be closer, due to the cavendish. Maybe I'll order MacB's NF in bulk next month to round it out. I am on a Navy Flake quest.. :)

Rodfather likes this.
  9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Most Navy Flakes have some sort of Rum in them...LNF does not...

Mington and Raffxr7 like this.
  10. krusty

krusty Active Member

FWIW Raff
    Of the three I prefer the LNF. What makes it sing for me is smoking it ala fold and stuff. Rubbed out is OK but smoked as flake is the best!

Raffxr7 likes this.
  11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

My main smoke is LNF. I like LTF, too, but don't seem to smoke it much. I don't know why. It just seems like I grab the LNF.

I don't care for LBF at all.

I've cut down on the bowls/week I smoke and have started smoking more Old Gowrie. It's about twice the cost of LNF but, now that I'm smoking less, I feel like I can afford it now.

I rub out and dry all of my flakes though LNF and LTF have much less moisture in them right out of the box than many of the other va/vapers that I've tried. Old Gowrie, for instance, is much more moist than LNF and LTW. I also, rub out these flakes 99% of the time though LNF is the one va/vaper that works well for me (most of the time) with the fold and stuff method.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  12. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Smoking LNF for the first time and kinda disappointed. I love VaPers but after smoking a lot of Anniversary Cake and Escudo this seems bland. I really can't taste the perique. It comes off like a straight Virginia. Does this need to be aged or is it just a very mild blend?

Slow Tri likes this.
  13. krusty

krusty Active Member

The Perique is mild in this one D-Pap. That's part of why LNF works for me.
    Sometimes a hint of spice is all person wants.

D-Pap likes this.
  14. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Ahh, thanks, so this would be more comparable to Orlik Golden Sliced than Escudo then? I think my expectations clouded my experience.

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

OGS has much less Perique than LNF! I still find it hard to believe there's any there at all (-:

BC56CH and D-Pap like this.
  16. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I agree Krusty. I probably should have finished the bowl before I commented. Reaching the bottom third of the bowl I get the spice of the perique. I was expecting a heavier smoke where as this to me is a little lighter.

17. krusty

krusty Active Member

LNF can, and often does, serve as an all-day smoke for me. Easy burn, sweet Va and a leetle pepper. Good stuff Maynard!

D-Pap likes this.
  18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have some 7 year old Luxury Navy Flake that varies in taste, depending on what I smoke it in. I've burned it in a Diplomat, meer, my Pete 221, and a couple of other briars, and liked the flavor. I smoked the same batch of LNF in my JanPipes poker or my Nate King poker and the sweetness really pops. It doesn't seem to bite as easy either. I can't tell you why... I always fold and stuff with no drying. The flakes are aged, so not overly moist, but don't break when you fold them either.

Luxury Twist Flake is great to me, folded and stuffed in all my Virginia dedicated briars. This is my favorite Stokkebye blend. I've smoked it in a cob, but it doesn't sing like in the briars for me. No dissing the cobs, though; Stokkebye Cube Cut is fabulous in a cob, but just decent in any briar I've tried it in.

D-Pap likes this.
  19. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I rubbed mine out and let it sit for a while because all the other flakes I smoke need some drying time. When I smoke a VaPer I anticipate sweetness from Virginias and spice from perique. At first I didn't get any spice and the Virginias were slightly bitter. I eventually got the perique, but really didn't get as much Virginia sweetness as I was expecting. I'll try the fold and stuff method next time and see if that makes any difference.

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

ShiolhHollow , I've been watching your posts ... I'm thinkin we're freakin twins or something . It's kinda freaky :eek:

I really like the three blends . LTF being my favorite of them ... the topnote is exceptional and I love it rubbed a bit in a Pot shape . The other two are almost as good to my tastes . I smoke them in briars only . I lightly rub each but nothing drastic . For the money they are fantastic quality and rock big time . Mty wife very much enjoys the LNF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.